Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ds didn't act in the school Christmas play

(10 Posts)
Eulalia Tue 21-Dec-04 15:04:17

Hardly surprising really. In fact the teachers had difficulty even getting him into the church where they were practising. I think if they'd held the play in the school it might have been OK. However even there when the kids went up to practice their part ds would get very annoyed if he or she didn't go back and sit exactly where they were before.

He was the only one out of the school not to take part (and its a small school so more noticeable), something which I feel is perhaps a downside of mainstream.

On the other hand he's doing really well. Reading and writing is above average. The auxilliary support is fantastic. He even has someone peeling his apple at lunchtime!

Wonder what he'll make of the panto today? His first time.

mum38 Tue 21-Dec-04 15:20:57

hi. Sorry the school play didn't work out. Pity about it being in the church. My ds (in mainstream too) managed the first song at his Christmas play and then broke down and cried through the rest. I was crying too by the end. I think I'm developing Christmas play phobia-the same thing happened last year.

On the postive side it sounds like your son is making lots of progress at school. Does he like going?

Hope you all have a great time at the panto!!

Minstrel Tue 21-Dec-04 15:26:23

Hi, I would just like to say I think you have truly wonderful children. My dd is not SN but last year refused point blank to be in the school play, they had to climb up onto the stage and she was frightened she was going to fall off, she even ruined one of the days the play was on by crying her heart out (I was in hospital having ds), so she ended up dressed as a Shepherd sitting beside her teacher.
I have re-written this post about a hundred times and hope I have not offended anyone.

Mum2girls Tue 21-Dec-04 15:27:39

Watched DD1 (not SN) in her ballet class last week along with all the other parents. We now realise we spend £30 a term so that she can pick her nose in peace, slide around the floor on her bottom, race round the room at top speed while the other little darlings are doing dainty skips and talk non-stop.

SantaFio2 Tue 21-Dec-04 16:11:54

Eualia i know its disappointing but my NT son was awful in his caroil servis, absolutely. Wouldnt join in at all

dd sn was fine at hers although she did get told off by the teachers quite a few times

Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 16:43:11

ds wasn't in his either. TBH I was relieved as it was always a bit of a freak show.

DS2 was in his - king number 7- but refused to dress up as a king. Decided to be Postman Pat but refused to wear the hat or glasses and lost hi bag and Jess somewhere in the dressing up room His little friend at nursery refused point blank to dress up so the pair of them were wandering around amongst all the tea towels and tinsel!

maddiemo Tue 21-Dec-04 16:49:22

I expect it does seem worse as it is a small school. I remember my autistic ds3 being carried off the stage crying at his first show. I know I felt upset so I know how you feel.

Hope the panto went a bit better.

Blu Tue 21-Dec-04 16:57:30

It all shows good judgement, IMO. I refused to take part in ANY primary school plays, especially if it involved wearing a naff costume, and now I'm a theatre director .
Sorry it was sad for you, Eulalia - but v pleased to hear how well he's doing.

juniperdropofbrandy Tue 21-Dec-04 17:03:00

Yes I agree, it must be quite traumatic for some kids whether sn or not? I wasn't over keen at that age either, especially with loads of adults gawping.

Glad he's doing so well in school Eulalia

Eulalia Wed 22-Dec-04 12:17:49

Thanks. Yes he likes school. The panto was OK, although he refused to go into the main arena and ended up watching it on a special TV screen.

I wasn't too bothered about the play but it gets harder as he is getting older and doesn't join in and has no friends. I am being selfish as well as I have to be the main entertainer for him.

Santa today at school which should be fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now