Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

2 years old and he understands autism better than most adults

(14 Posts)
Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 12:08:28

Last night ds2 appeared in the kitchen "Mummy ds1 crying because doors are open". Went into the living room and sure enough ds1 was standing shouting and hitting himself- and why? Because our neighbour's visitors were taking ages to unload their car and had left the car doors open! I was very impressed (and quite touched) that he understands his brother so well.

SantaFio2 Tue 21-Dec-04 12:15:37

awwww:0

it is quite touching isnt it? my ds does it with dd. i love his distraction techniques to stop her biting herself

lockets Tue 21-Dec-04 12:22:27

Message withdrawn

PaRumPumPumScum Tue 21-Dec-04 12:25:16

What a tuned in boy, jimjams. Sounds like a cutie.

Socci Tue 21-Dec-04 12:47:00

Message withdrawn

JanH Tue 21-Dec-04 13:11:17

That's very touching, jimjams - and fio!

I think small children can be quite intuitive anyway and it makes sense that siblings of non-verbal SN children would pick up on their distress. I hope it does continue.

SantaFio2 Tue 21-Dec-04 14:33:02

jimjams, i dont know whether you are like me but most of what ds says amazes me even "dont say that mummy its naughty word!"

SnowmAngeliz Tue 21-Dec-04 14:49:09

bless!!

Eulalia Tue 21-Dec-04 14:58:53

Lovely 'fraid its not happening with my 2 year old though although she likes to get ds's clothes for school in the morning.

blossomgoodwill Tue 21-Dec-04 15:02:59

How touching Jimjams and Fio

My ds is very understanding and if I ever tell dd off he says "mummy she can't help it she has special needs!". He even changes the way he talks when talking to her. Talks a lot clearer and simplifies his language. He has been great for her. Really helped with the social skills and general development.

Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 16:11:49

santafio2- everything ds2 does leaves us open mouthed! Seriously I often find myself kind of examining him quizzically as he's so novel for want of a better word. I'm stunned by how much he can do and how much he understands aged 2 - just normal I guess.

This xmas I keep coming out of hugely long post office queues amazed by him- and we do things like walk round the supermarket. Gotta go- ds1 is screaming!

maddiemo Tue 21-Dec-04 16:44:05

That is lovely. It will be so easy to talk to ds2 about ds1 as he grows. I know ds2 has known no different but it does show such good understanding.
Clever ds2

JakBFrostNippingatYourtoes Wed 22-Dec-04 19:20:53

That's amazing, jimjams! My ds isn't quite at that level of understanding yet but often says things like, 'gigi (his name for her) upset, mummy' and 'gigi likes that' when he sees her favourite things, like La La. He's also very protective of her. I'm totally astounded by him and can't believe his level of understanding.

eidsvold Wed 22-Dec-04 20:57:16

that is amazing both fio and jj....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now