ADHD Medication Advice

(4 Posts)
Kismet999 Sat 05-Dec-20 22:27:10

Hello, my son took Delmosart for the first time today, sadly resulting in a big aggressive, angry, outburst this evening. We have previously tried Equasym, which had similar results, so we stopped that after 8/9 days. Has anyone else had a situation where medications have hindered rather than helped?
The doctor thinks we stopped the previous medication too soon.
But after the first day we've had on Delmosart, I don't think I want to put him and our family though it again.
Is it possible he could adapt to the medication in time? Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
Waveysnail Thu 10-Dec-20 08:43:43

Equasym and delmosart are same drug just different delivery systems. We call it med come down rage. Its normal on stimulants that when they wear off adhders can get super cross. We counteract by usually exercising so out on bike in summer or something indoors in winter. Iv 3 kids on methylphenidate and they all get med wear off rage but it's worth it for the benefits. Imo you have to give it 2/3 months unless side effects are severe

Nochangeplease Wed 16-Dec-20 20:38:54

To the pp, what would you say are the benefits for you? I may be here in the future.

Kismet999 Thu 17-Dec-20 08:46:11

Thanks for the help Waveysnail.

Nochangeplease, we saw little benefit on Equasym and Delmosart to be honest, but like the doctor said perhaps we didn't give them enough time, due to negative side effects.

We have now started my son on the lowest dose of Medikinet (5mg prolonged release) and he seems to be coping with that much better. It's still early days so I haven't yet heard back from the school re improvements in concentration etc, but we may have to increase this.

He does seem to be playing better at home and he said it made him "work harder" during his football match.

Will let you know how it pans out.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in