Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS has playdate tomorrow - any advice please

(5 Posts)
iwearflairs Mon 01-Oct-07 22:24:10

A little question, but am nervous about having invited girl from DS's nursery over for playdate. He said he would like it if I invited her over.

He is happy to have a friend there but usually does things in parallel and doesn't get the cues and signs.

What should I do to set the scene or help him to play? I don't think I can really just let him get on with it.

ladygrinningsoul Tue 02-Oct-07 10:23:14

Maybe too late to be of any help, but we've had some success with simple board games, with adult supervision. DS likes doing the arithmetic and taking turns. If playing with adults only he gets upset if he doesn't win but seems to accept with other children that they need to win some of the time.

Also the dressing up box - taking turns with the outfits, which now often develops into a roleplay scenario.

magsi Tue 02-Oct-07 10:42:54

Could always try baking fairycakes or biscuits. Has worked for me quite well before and the kids love helping etc.....and licking the bowl!!

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 02-Oct-07 10:51:48

I find that even at this age (7) DS's playdates mainly consist in them watching some tedious Star Wars episode together, without much interaction, or watching each other play on the PlayStation. At nursery age I would second Magsi's suggestion of baking something together, as they would both participate but are still under your supervision.

iwearflairs Tue 02-Oct-07 18:05:13

fabulous - thank you - gingerbread men and board games it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now