Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can't cope with normal issues

(8 Posts)
needmorecoffee Sat 29-Sep-07 18:42:55

Some woman on a list I'm on is going on and on about how worried she is her 8 yo doesn't want to read or write. In every other way he is fine, doing maths and science etc. I did point out that 7 is the 'average' age for learning to read but obviously the fact that 50% of kids would fall after that age isn't enough.
But, being nasty and intolerant today what I'd like to say is 'be glad he can wipe his own arse and feed himself. Anything else is a bonus'
Anyone ever get like this? Or actually let it out to people's horror?

chonky Sat 29-Sep-07 18:57:34

I struggle with it too sometimes, it takes all of my willpower to bite my tongue. I try to remember though that pre-dd I probably had the potential to have been just the same. I think I could have been rather 'precious' about parenting if it wasn't for the path which we have been forced to take. You won't catch me fretting about the organic quotient of my dd's diet for example, I'm just grateful that she can actually now manage to swallow and that she has put on some weight. I guess it's all relative. However, I do try to remember that everyone has their worries, big and small, it's just that some peoples worries are larger than others...

chipmonkey Sat 29-Sep-07 19:03:08

needmorecoffee, I can see where you're coming from!grin tbh, everything is relative. My ds1 is very bright but has ADD, I do worry that he'll have difficulty holding down a job or getting any qualifications in the first place. But I would be very reluctant to go on and on on the MN special needs board about it because for the most part the SN your children have are 100 times more difficult to deal with than the special educational needs my eldest 2 suffer from. It sounds to me like the two of you shouldn't be on the same list! What kind of list is it anyway?

needmorecoffee Sat 29-Sep-07 21:49:52

I'm just an intolerant and moody old cow. Its a home education list. If she wasn't going on and on and on and on I'd probably be fine plus I also think children read when they are ready, not when parents/school tell them too (if they are going too). I know so many kids that learnt to read at 10+ when they had a reason too or when it was interesting. In school they'd have been labelled as failures early on.
Generally I bite my tongue and try and realise that problems are problems but on the SN list I can let my inner horrid person out grin

chipmonkey Sun 30-Sep-07 00:07:01

Totally agree with you nmc. Also I think boys often don't really see the point of reading. At least mine didn't till they found Horrid Henry! Or Captain Underpants. Anything rude and vulgar if truth be told!grin

mum24boyz Sun 30-Sep-07 07:11:36

lol chipmonkey, my ds1, nt, never interested in reading at all, never read a book in his life and it did let him down, but he still left school with 10gcse's and is now on a foundation degree at college, its not exactly the end of the world is it, yet my 5 yr old can read for britain, and write, but he is a.s so its still not gonna solve all his problems in life, still in nappies with no toilet control whatsoever, i know which i would prefer he can do tbh. nmc, its all down to ignorance again isnt it, maybe i moaned too with ds1+ds2, i had a whole diff agenda back then and what seems totally trivial now prob didnt back then, iykwim.

TotalChaos Sun 30-Sep-07 21:12:55

if you're an intolerant cow, that would make me a seriously crazed one grin.

hels9 Sun 30-Sep-07 21:46:35

Everyone has to have something to worry about - it's human nature. In a sick sort of way, it's easier for the people who KNOW they've got something to worry about, because then they know they won't look back in 10 years time and realise they wasted their time worrying about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now