Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA + council tax discount & direct payments.

(10 Posts)
Jenkeywoo Fri 28-Sep-07 16:10:55

My homestart volunteer has been on a course about disability and has come back with some info for me.

She says that as dd (18 months) gets DLA high rate care, we are entitled to 25% discount on council tax. From what I've read you don't get the discount if the person you're caring for is your child?

She also mentioned direct payments which I thought you needed to have a social worker in order to get? Any ideas?

It's all so confusing isn't it?

dustystar Fri 28-Sep-07 16:14:41

I'm not sure about council tax reductions but you can get an increase in child tax credit so long as your incomes isn't over the threshold.

2shoes Fri 28-Sep-07 16:20:12

we got discount. they take you down to the band bend below yours. they come and check your house to make sure it has been adapted.

coppertop Fri 28-Sep-07 16:38:20

I thought the council tax discount was only if you have a room that is used specifically for whoever it is who has the disability, eg a therapy room.

coppertop Fri 28-Sep-07 16:40:07

If you look at Gess' website it has a bit about it on there. I'm not sure whether it's okay to do links now that she isn't here anymore.

mymatemax Fri 28-Sep-07 17:07:56

Just another perk but i've just discovered Powergen offer FREE loft & cavity wall insulation to any household if a member of the house is in receipt of DLA.

Jenkeywoo Fri 28-Sep-07 20:57:23

From what I have read there are two types of council tax discount - the first being reducing your band by one if you have a specific room or have a converted bathroom etc.

The other is that you get a discount of 25% as they count one adult as 'invisible' - however it seems you don't get it if the disabled person is your child. All very complicated - this seems to explain it a bit better, - if anyone gets the chance to have a look let me know if you come to the same conclusions.

2shoes Fri 28-Sep-07 21:15:31

don't forget water rates. you can get them capped if you are on a meter(not sure if you are not)need a letter from your gp

Jenkeywoo Fri 28-Sep-07 22:14:27

Info on water rates:

The Water Industry Charges (Vulnerable Groups) Regulations 1999 ensure that safeguards are now in place that protect certain vulnerable customers who have a water meter. It means that some customers can receive a water and sewerage bill capped at the average household bill rather than the actual metered bill.

[back to top]

Do you qualify?
In order to qualify for this tariff the customer, or another person living with them at the property, must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:

Income Support
Job Seekers Allowance
Working Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit
Housing Benefit
Pension Credit
Council Tax Credit
They must also:
Have 3 or more dependant children under the age of 16
Suffer from a medical condition that may require them to use a significant additional amount of water. Examples include:
Weeping Skin Disease
Abdominal Stoma
Renal Failure requiring dialysis at home
[back to top]
When you may not be eligible
Please remember that the tariff is only available to customers on a water meter who may be faced with disproportionately high water and sewerage bills as a result of their social circumstances or medical condition. It is also not available to customers who use a swimming pool, sprinkler system or non hand held garden watering device.

[back to top]

Jenkeywoo Fri 28-Sep-07 22:17:40

Powergen info:
Free Cavity wall and Loft Insulation Offer
Do you qualify for free insulation?Free cavity wall and/or loft insulation is available to homeowners and private tenants in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits or tax credits. Any member of the household can be in receipt of the benefit and you don’t even need to be a Powergen customer to apply.

Income support.
Housing benefit.
Council tax benefit (not including single occupancy reduction).
Income-based jobseeker’s allowance.
Attendance allowance.
Disability living allowance.
War disablement pension (which must include mobility supplement or constant attendance allowance).
Disablement pension credit (which must include constant attendance allowance).
Child tax credit (with a household income of less than £14,600).
Working tax credit (with a household income of less than £14,600).
State pension credit.
How do I apply?

To find out if you are eligible for our free insulation offer please call us free on 0800 479 0162. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 8.30am to 5pm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: