Mums with children on the autism spectrum age 3-8

(8 Posts)
BetNoir Sat 11-Jul-20 23:36:43

My 6 year old really likes comic style books. I know it's not a book, but its his favourite is the beano. He also likes peanuts.

Doveyouknow Sun 05-Jul-20 07:29:24

My ds generally reads books most kids his age like, David Walliams, Roald Dahl etc. He has enjoyed books with characters with ASD like the blue bottle mystery and the Guggenheim mystery. He loves non fiction as well and often just reads an kids encyclopedia. Won't read books about ASD though...

Sallyt7110 Sun 05-Jul-20 07:20:38

Dr Seuss books are supposed to be very good for children with ASD, my son age 6 who has asd particularly likes the green eggs and ham One as it is very repetitive.

openupmyeagereyes Sat 04-Jul-20 10:14:20

I have an autistic ds(6) and we buy general picture books as well as books relating to favourite programmes or films (Star Wars, Pixar for example).

We have a number that are targeted as social stories or are about making friends and feelings but he’s quite resistant to these at the moment. I think he knows they are trying to teach him something and it makes him uncomfortable.

As he’s getting older now I’m trying to choose books more carefully. Interesting, more complex picture books and beginning chapter books. We try and do lots of reading aloud and I plan to continue this as long as I can.

BatleyTownswomensGuild Sat 04-Jul-20 09:02:55

I tend to focus on books that suit my son's special interests (transport). Also favourite programmes or films.

My son loves lift the flap books. Usborne do a really nice range of non-fiction lift the flap books on different topics - trains, animals, dinosaurs etc.

The Playtown range are really nicely illustrated.

Stories about relatable, real-life adventures tend to work well. DS likes Topsy and Tim because the narrative is simple and it's things he can relate to (Topsy and Tim go to the doctors, Topsy and Tim go camping etc.)

Rosie1313 Fri 03-Jul-20 14:42:39

Thank you for this, it is very helpful! I was thinking more generally, to see how they look affects the children, but if this goes down well, it means it is designed well and would be useful to analyse.

OP’s posts: |
littleapple Fri 03-Jul-20 14:16:54

I'm not sure if you mean picture books in general or ones about autism? One book that has gone down well in my house is "how to be a friend: a guide to making friends and keeping them" by Laurie Krasny Brown and Marc Brown. It's not specifically about ASD but is good as it is in comic format and addresses common playground situations.

Advertisement

Rosie1313 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:28:48

Dear mums of mumsnet, for those who have children on the autism spectrum between the ages of 3-8, what picture books do you buy for them and why? Are there any you wouldn't buy because of content, design, format or any other reason?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in