Strange Sock obsession - help !

(3 Posts)
ReginaPhalange89 Tue 23-Jun-20 08:25:18

My 3 year old (undiagnosed but 100% sure she's autistic) has in the last month or so become obsessed with having socks ON. After loving bare feet since a baby!
She screams if they are off , even having to wear them in the bath.

She's now taking them off every few minutes but then screaming for them back on 😭 I don't know why she's doing it but it's driving us all crazy. I've tried putting slippers over them to stop her doing it but she just takes them off too. I have to stop what I'm doing to help her and I could be in the middle of cooking or feeding the baby a bottle and she'll just start this almighty screaming !

It's constant ! I'm not exaggerating when I say it could be 50 times a day. Any ideas why she would be doing this ?

OP’s posts: |
BlankTimes Wed 24-Jun-20 01:38:30

I've not encountered that so can't help directly.
There may be something in this sensory booklet which could help
www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/social-care/disabilities/docs/young-people/Making%20Sense%20of%20Sensory%20Behaviour.pdf?

PaolaNeri Tue 30-Jun-20 18:48:14

Depending on your daughter's understanding and language you could try a couple of things.

- Positive reinforcement - Perhaps use pictures of other children that keep their socks on and take them off at appropriate times.
- A reward chart with stickers. Perhaps use a timer she can see and start with small periods of time and build it up? Use lots of praise when she does keep them on etc.

You say you are sure she is autistic, are you being seen by anyone or do you have any other support?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in