Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

BIBIC chat room about Siblings

(1 Post)
heartinthecountry Fri 21-Sep-07 20:13:48

Thought this might be of interest to some. You have to register with them first but I don't thnk you hve to have been to BIBIC to join in:

CHATROOM SESSION WITH JUTTA!
Join us for a chat about siblings, Tuesday 25th September from 8.00pm.

Jutta is our Family Support Worker and will be available in the chat room on Tuesday (25th September) from 8.00pm (for about one hour) I do hope you will be able to join us. If there is anything in particular you would like to discuss please do let us know, or just pop in on the day!

SIBLINGS… hate/love? fight/care? resent/protect? distant/close?

Studies about siblings of disabled people report mixed experiences. It is often a close relationship but there can be difficulties. Sibling relationships in general tend to be a mixture of love and hate, rivalry and loyalty.

In one study a group of the siblings of disabled children are reported as having stronger feelings about their brother and sister – either liking or disliking them more than a matched group did their non-disabled brothers and sisters.

As one grown-up sibling said ”It’s the same as in any brother or sister relationship, only the feelings are exaggerated.”

How do your children get on? How does your more able child cope with having a sibling with additional needs? How do you manage your time and energies between them without fostering jealousy or insecurities?

The sibling relationship can be extremely personal and at times complicated… do you feel that it is any harder or easier in a family where one child (or more) has special needs?

Join us for a discussion and let us learn from each other… Come into our chatroom on Tuesday and share your experiences and thoughts… (Next week: Tuesday 25th September 2007)

Here are some step-by-step instructions, don’t be shy -give it a try! If you experience any problems please get in touch and I will do my best to help you through. You can contact us on 01278 684 060 in work hours or email at any time on chatroom@bibic.org.uk (I will be online to pick up emails on the evening of the chat)

To enter the chat room go to the website www.bibic.org.uk <http://www.bibic.org.uk/> on the lower left hand side there is a link to the chatroom
To log in type your name and password, click on “Log In”
You are now in the bibic chat room!
Type your comment, query or chatter in the box at the bottom
Click on “Send” to post it for others to read (this will make it visible in the larger “conversation-box”)
If you have logged in for a booked session there will be somebody there to respond to you straight away, otherwise you may have to wait for a response, we will do our best to get back to you

I do hope to see you in the chat room soon and look forward to hearing your views. If you no longer wish to receive notifications of chats please email me with REMOVE in the subject line.

Best wishes

Hazel

Hazel Warren, Administrator

BIBIC - British Institute for Brain Injured Children

Knowle Hall, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA7 8PJ

Tel 01278 684060 Fax 01278 685573

Email hazel.warren@bibic.org.uk <mailto:hazel.warren@bibic.org.uk>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now