Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sorry for the stupid question but can anyone (fio) explain global delay to me

(13 Posts)
2shoes Thu 20-Sep-07 17:57:21

dh met a man today who's son has it and dh just asked me about it and i realised I didn't know very much.

mulsey Thu 20-Sep-07 18:35:33

hiya hopes this helps..... global refers to the brain and its different hemispheres, as you know the different bits of the brain control different functions, I believe to be referred to as global then the child must have 2 or more difficulites, eg, my daughter has a gdd as she has mobility and communication difficulites - with all their associated problems. I suppose delay is a polite word, for problem, but also refers to the fact that the child is delayed in comparison with their peer group.

alycat Thu 20-Sep-07 18:41:14

I always though the 'global' referred to all round.

So for my DS it means delays in all 5 areas of development rather than just communication/speech delay or learning difficulties or mobility/ physical delay or social/emotional delay etc

2shoes Thu 20-Sep-07 18:52:56

thanks does help. but have to say confused as dd could fall ito that but she has cp. (sn is confusing)

lou33 Thu 20-Sep-07 18:56:31

gdd is not the same as cp as cp is permanent, but gdd isnt always

dd1 had gdd but has now caught up with her peers

2shoes Thu 20-Sep-07 18:59:33

ah I see.
Thanks
I felt a twit as I didn't know how to explain it.

lou33 Thu 20-Sep-07 19:05:39

ah dont be, mn always has an answer for everything!

mymatemax Thu 20-Sep-07 19:57:06

DS2 was dx'd with GDD, he also has CP & poss ASD. We were told that once he reaches school age & is no longer under the care of the CDC then his dx will change to learning difficulties if he has not caught up with language, communication, social & emotional development etc.
I guess someone will make a decision that his delay is permanent.

cheekychaps Thu 20-Sep-07 22:07:22

Hi everyone,

My ds is almost 2 and was diagnosed with GDD. At first I was a bit scared but now i'm not worried, he's still not crawling or talking but he is the happiest little boy I know. I'm glad I found this thread as not many people understand.

lou33 Thu 20-Sep-07 22:10:45

dd1 didnt walk til just after her 2nd birthday

FioFio Fri 21-Sep-07 11:42:58

Message withdrawn

alycat Fri 21-Sep-07 11:59:55

I didn't realise that when they started school.

Ds will start next Sept, when he is 4yrs and 10days old. GDD sounds so much less (about to offend many I fear) 'labelish', less judgemental in a way, a bit friendlier...

Peachy Fri 21-Sep-07 12:05:58

Althoiugh (why does it always vary?) we are friends with a child who has a dx of GDD, ASD and visual disability (ie he is blind!) at 13, so not every area will change the dx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now