Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

any ideas to help my ds1 not get upset by rain?

(10 Posts)
luckylady74 Wed 19-Sep-07 18:12:32

that's it really - he's 5 with as and i think he's getting more of my explanations about things, but i found it impossible to get past the screaming today -only light drizzle and he had a hood and a hat on - it seems to be about getting wet (loves bath though) and fear that he won't be able to play/eat outside when we get home. the school run's 20 minute walk each way and i'm not looking forward to autumn!

Chirpygirl Wed 19-Sep-07 18:21:53

If he loves his bath then how about trying a watering can in the bath? Or putting the shower on and telling him it is rain?

Peachy Wed 19-Sep-07 18:24:24

Can you take him to choose a funky new raincoat and boots perhaps?

ahve to do thsi for ds1 as schoolkids have been teasing him his formerly loved coat is girly- sigh. He binned it, so have no option.

gess Wed 19-Sep-07 18:28:21

oooh ds1 had this for a while. I;d forgotton until I saw your post. It was because he HATED rain on his shoes. used to try and wipe it off and more would fall. He was 5 as well.

It just went to be honest. If your son has good understanding of language I;d try a social story (would have been way above ds1).

tobysmumkent Wed 19-Sep-07 19:32:48

Message withdrawn

Hathor Wed 19-Sep-07 19:37:18

Think up some good funny game and go out and play in the rain with him? Show you are having fun getting wet.

Does he like singing? Try singing in the rain, and rain rain go away.

luckylady74 Wed 19-Sep-07 20:11:04

thanks all - i think i'll try all of the suggestions - attack it from all angles - i think some of it's the uncertain nature of rain - when will it stop and so on - clearly need to move somewhere hotter. thanks again

onlyjoking Wed 19-Sep-07 20:20:42

My DS is the same, he loves getting wet in the bath and at swimming but he doesn't like rain at all. i think with my DS it might be to do with the routine changes when it rains EG indoor play, indoor PE. if he gets to school and it is raining they don't line up they have to go to classroom , he likes to line up!
i don't know what the answer is thou i will keep watching.
luckylady are you still going to the group?

luckylady74 Wed 19-Sep-07 22:27:51

hi onlyjoking - i went and then i forgot and have let it slip - it takes me a lot to work up the nerve for that kind of thing, but i will return because the ladies (yes all ladies) know my local schools inside out and i always worry i'm letting things slide at school because he seems happy enough.

ds1 is the same as yours -going straight in the classroom from a different door because of the rain - well that's not right!

onlyjoking Wed 19-Sep-07 22:34:29

DS loves to stand on the line and he was a nightmare when snow covered the line. you can always dip in and out of the group so don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now