Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

At beaking point with DS1

(4 Posts)
toomuchchocolate Sun 16-Sep-07 09:42:21

I feel like I can't cope with DS1 anymore. Hes 9 and is having lots of problems at the moment. He's under assessment for AS and we are also in the process of applying for a statement at school.

I can cope with his odd behaviour but he is now having major tantrums. This morning I made him get off the computer as he hit it. He then built himself into such a state he launched himself at me, kicking and punching, then at DD (4). I tried to push him away but it got the the point where I had to take him to the floor and sit on him to stop him hurting us and recking the house. While doing this he hit and pinched me several times, bit me and head butted me. Im now (as usual) covered in bruises and he has red marks on his arms where I held him. He's big for his age and is really hard to control, but I don't feel like I have a choice when he becomes so aggressive.

Im a single mum, and his dad is pretty useless. He takes the children for 2 hours a week for tea. If I ask him for anymore he says hes too busy at work. My family are supportive but can't handle him either.

I just feel like I can't do it anymore. I feel so sad for my younger 2 who have to watch this happening. I don't know what to do. I've seen my GP who referred us to CAHMS. CAMHS have said that the school seem to be doing a great job with his anger management time (he only goes for 3 hours a day as school can't cope with him either), and have more or less discharged us.

jellyhead Sun 16-Sep-07 09:55:58

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.
My ds1 has ADHD and AS he is 8 and this year has started having some major tantrums but mainly swears and insults us.
I am still trying to adjust to this side of him so can't offer you any constructive advice as all tactics we are trying are a bit hit and miss.
Don't give up though you can do it and it won't always be so awful.

lottiejenkins Sun 16-Sep-07 14:33:53

My son sounds very similar to yours! He had a major wobbly at Mums today, hit the computer and pulled my nieces hair because we said he couldnt watch something on tv. My mum is now wondering if she can still have us go over there. he can be very violent too, biting, headbutting,hair pulling, punching. Have you thought about asking for something like Unisafe? My sister and i went for training there. Tey teach you how to hold your child in the correct way when they are trying to hurt you! Just to let you know that there are others who know what you are going through!

flyingmum Mon 17-Sep-07 17:56:13

Did I understand you? Your son's school only has him for 3 hours a day? surely this gives you MASSIVE grounds for not only a statement but a placement at a special school. There are residential private special schools by the way that do take from aged 9. I can give you details if you wish.

I'm really sorry but I'm not much use. Mine used to (and presumably still can) scream the place down but he never got violent. I think a course that teaches you how to restrain safetly sounds a really good idea.

Virtual hugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now