Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD1 has her Dx

(6 Posts)
twocutedarlings Thu 13-Sep-07 19:48:40

We only started DD assessment for Aspergers mid July this year.

Our first appointment was at a child development where a peadiatrican (sp?), Psychologist and SALT did a combined assessment which involved taking a family history, the pead spent about an hour playing/chatting with DD, asked us alot of questions about what dd likes/dislikes ect. The out come of this meeting was that DD possibly has AS.

Two weeks later we had an appointment with the Psychologist for DD to have an IQ test, the out come of this was that DD was highly likely/most probable to have AS, we agreed to see how DD got on at school and we would go back Dec/Jan for them to give us Diagnosis, However DD started school just last week and she has had a few problems stettling in and school ask me if i could ring CDC to see if they could bring DD appointment forward so that school can apply for a statement for DD as they feel that she need extra help. So i rang DD Psychologist yesterday and over the phone she agreed that CDC will give DD a Dx of Aspergers she will amend there report (which stated Probable AS) and we will recieve it in about 7-10 days.

So Thats that, im quite shocked really i thought that we have this big formal meeting with them and it would be all official and things, but no, it has all been done over the phone shock.

coppertop Thu 13-Sep-07 21:36:45

I'm really pleased for you that you were able to get the dx without having to go through more meetings. No wonder you were shocked though.

ladygrinningsoul Thu 13-Sep-07 22:01:40

Almost too efficient really.

coppertop Thu 13-Sep-07 22:07:54

Yes, it makes you wonder too why they didn't just give the dx in the first place if they were so sure. Doing well at school wouldn't mean that mini-TCD suddenly no longer had AS.

twocutedarlings Fri 14-Sep-07 14:13:02

Yes i know what you both mean, i sort of thought the same myself tbh.

However i think the only reason they held off giving her a Dx straight away was because she wasnt having any problems copeing and she is only just five. But because she is having a few problems at school therefore they felt that she will be better supported with a Dx.

As you can see this is all still very new to us, so im just thankfull that everything so has been has straight forward as possible. Fingers cross it will stay that way.

coppertop Fri 14-Sep-07 14:18:50

<crosses fingers for TCD>

Something similar happened with ds2 (AS). He had his full assessment at 2yrs old and the Paed said that he had all the signs/traits of AS but that wanted to see how ds2 progressed before making the dx official. About a year or so later I asked again about the dx, expecting another assessment. Instead the Paed said that he would just put it in writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now