Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"If there is a problem then the school will pick up on it and alert us"

(9 Posts)
Flamesparrow Thu 13-Sep-07 16:49:43

You've gotta love my HV's faith in the school system - was torn between laughing and crying!!

She asked me today how DD was, if she was "settling down".

I replied that we know how to ease situations better now and how we are most likely to keep her on an even keel, but that I was sure she wasn't "normal" but more like the boundary between NT and AS.

Which was when she came out with that classic line that "If there is a problem then the school will pick up on it and alert us" hmm

Clearly most of the threads in here with GPs/HVs/Schools not listening to SN issues are fiction, because they will definately pick up on DD having issues with routine and change in a regulated routine based environment where she gets to wear the same clothes every day wink

On the bright side though, DD is in fact in heaven at school for all of those reasons grin, and her interaction with other children is improving

coppertop Thu 13-Sep-07 17:15:36

Ah yes, and when they "pick up on it" they will have a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce waiting to whisk you away to an instant appointment with a waiting Paed, SALT, Physio and OT. After a brief stop for champagne and chocolates the LEA will hand you a statement for full 1:1 and an assortment of therapies.

Oh to live in HV-Land.

TotalChaos Thu 13-Sep-07 18:05:58

glad your DD is enjoying school.

and a wry smile at your HV.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 13-Sep-07 19:46:06

Hi Flamesparrow,

"If there is a problem then the school will pick up on it and alert us".

I would have burst out laughing if she had said that to me followed by a wryly said, "yeah right" when I had stopped laughing. Well that's given me a laugh I must say, do thank your HV for megrin.

Glad to read your DD is enjoying school currently. Never forget though that you as her parents are her best - and only - advocate.

PussinWellies Fri 14-Sep-07 13:30:04

'Ah yes, and when they "pick up on it" they will have a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce waiting to whisk you away to an instant appointment with a waiting Paed, SALT, Physio and OT. After a brief stop for champagne and chocolates the LEA will hand you a statement for full 1:1 and an assortment of therapies'

Ahem.

Have just realised why I have this weird sense of unreality this term (son with AS is now in secondary school WITH AS UNIT):
He gets chauffered home from school by taxi (OK, not a Rolls, but nice and shiny);
He has a statement and full 1-1 support;
They pick up on his difficulties, and indeed pre-empt them;
They have SALT, OT and music therapy on tap!

No choccies yet, but we are bloody lucky and know it. It almost makes up for the agony of primary and the battle for a statement...

Ooooh yes, our HV thought he was fine too, though I seem to remember she had her doubts about me. Good luck with it.

Peachy Fri 14-Sep-07 13:32:08

feel free to give your HV my phone number, I am sure I can enlightern her to relaity LOL wink

My HV said, 'I know he's nto actually attainsing any of the taks on his assessment, but don't worry because I can tell he could do it oif he wanted'

<<spray>> grin

Dinosaur Fri 14-Sep-07 13:33:15

Peachy that is priceless. Priceless.

I hope you looked sternly at her and said "But the point is, he should want to."

Peachy Fri 14-Sep-07 13:34:21

Nah, I just laughed LOL

(it was after referral and assessment, HV hadnt met ds3 until paed bolloxed her LOL)

Flamesparrow Fri 14-Sep-07 20:39:33

Hurumph - just did a whole reply and lost it.

My mum did the exact hmm face when I told her.

First reports are coming in (my mum works in the school so she gets regular updates from the staff ) - she seems to be well liked by staff (apparently disliked staff members' family just doesn't get mentioned to said person unless they ask), does everything she is told, concentrates, follows all rules and instructions to the letter... Exactly as I expected she would. They have said to mum that she is likely to be fine at school (as my sister was at that age, it was only as a teenager that she started getting an "attitude problem" which we have now realised was due to realising she was different to others but not why ), and she is likely to kick off more at home. Which again is what I have been expecting.

So, they seem to be listening and paying attention (definitely helped by mum being there).

All in all, a very positive start.

You are all always so supportive, even though you are all going through much much bigger than I am. Thank you

(I like the sound of living in HV land - do you think childbirth is painless there, and little kittens come and clear away mess?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now