Global development Delay and potty training

(41 Posts)
FireUnicorn Fri 27-Mar-20 20:48:03

Has anyone managed to potty train their GDD Child? My 5 year old son is happy to sit on the toilet with a nappy on but won't sit on without one.

I've been sticking to a routine off sitting him on the toilet after each meal, before a bath and before bed. (with a nappy) for the past 3 months as he was taking a interest in the toilet while I was potty training my 3 year old son.

He had a huge problem with poos and was with holding which he's so much better with and he's now going daily and we have reached the stage off it being "normal" and he knows when he's going as he starting to hide.

Would it be worth trying to potty training? Anyone found a large potty that might be a bit more suitable he isn't a big 5 year old. Any tips would be great!

OP’s posts: |
FireUnicorn Fri 03-Apr-20 19:51:45

Yes he can get his shoes and sit down while I put them on. He can't put his own shoes on.

Porcupineinwaiting Fri 03-Apr-20 19:34:56

Ok so let's break this down. To successfully train he needs to realise he needs to go, move to the potty, pull his pants down, sit down and wee. That's a 4 step process. How is he at other 4 step processes? Could he say fetch his shoes, sit and put them on (or give them to you and sit down for you to put them on)?

FireUnicorn Fri 03-Apr-20 18:34:06

Thank you such a hard one! Sometime he will sit on the potty and wee but most off the time he goes in his pants while looking down. So he's aware he's going. Still hiding to poo so that hasn't changed.

Half say stick with it but half says go back to nappies for a little longer

Porcupineinwaiting Fri 03-Apr-20 11:32:00

No we never went back to nappies but that doesnt mean you shouldn't. My feeling was that as long as there was some progress and we weren't fighting about it (ie accidents weren't making us both miserable) then I'd perserve. It took 2 weeks for ds1 to become reliable I recall.

But if he's getting upset, or you're getting upset or you just dont think he's ready yet, then no harming in leaving it for a few months then trying again.

FireUnicorn Fri 03-Apr-20 11:25:31

Did you go back to nappies and try again?

Although he's better when we first tried he's still having more accidents that wees in the potty. Even with trying bottom half naked this morning that didn't go well at all 😳 who new wee could travel far lol

Porcupineinwaiting Wed 01-Apr-20 20:18:41

Awesome!

Advertisement

Biggreen87 Wed 01-Apr-20 19:30:50

Fabulous!!! Well done you guys!

Could try putting something in front of it. Some sort of incontinence pad, the cheaper option being puppy pads. Do the same job, that's what we used.

FireUnicorn Wed 01-Apr-20 19:00:54

May have spoken a little to soon! Delivery came today with some training pants, and a new potty which can be used on the toilet.This one in the photo after searching for hours for a larger potty the one's that also go on the toilet seamed to be the best.

I let him put it where he wanted it and practiced sitting on it with no pants. He finally had a first proper wee! (most in the potty) need to teach him to hold is bits down blush as there isn't much off a splash guard. We give it another go tomorrow.

FireUnicorn Wed 01-Apr-20 16:02:37

I could try some bribery and distraction. He hasn't asked for a nappy

Porcupineinwaiting Wed 01-Apr-20 15:43:32

That sounds tough. I suspect making a big battle out of it is the worst thing you could do. Would he respond to bribery and distraction? If not, maybe leave it 3 months and try again?

FireUnicorn Wed 01-Apr-20 15:16:05

Doesn't want them pulled down at all. Happy to sit on the potty with them on though hmm

Biggreen87 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:04:12

Sorry! I didn't see your reply the other day! My boy is 5ft 3 so to big for a little frog. Practice makes perfect, i hope so anyway!

Will he let you pull them down for him or does he not want to pull them down at all?

FireUnicorn Wed 01-Apr-20 14:58:01

Not a good day today a few tears over getting him to pull his pants down and sit on the toilet or potty. Lots off wet pants!

Stick with it?

FireUnicorn Tue 31-Mar-20 18:17:01

We must have posted at the same time blush

FireUnicorn Tue 31-Mar-20 17:54:08

I wouldn't say a terrible day but loads off wet/dirty pants today! One wee this evening on the potty but he didn't pull his pants down however he sat on it on his own. I guess that's a start?

Do you change wet pants stright away or leave for a little bit? (like wait for him to tell you he's wet?)

Having potty trained 4 times I thought it wouldn't be so bad but he's definitely harder. Have been putting him on the potty every so often but he wees after I've pulled his pants back up.

Porcupineinwaiting Tue 31-Mar-20 17:54:05

How did today go?

FireUnicorn Mon 30-Mar-20 18:29:36

He's been fine with the accidents my washing/floors not so much lol.

Porcupineinwaiting Mon 30-Mar-20 16:34:10

That's totally normal. He needs to connect the sensation of starting to urinate with wetness. If he's not distressed I'd persevere.

FireUnicorn Mon 30-Mar-20 15:30:14

Started today with just normal pants. Lot off accident and a few part wees on the potty. He's been starting to wee in his pants before realising he needs to go

FireUnicorn Sun 29-Mar-20 22:41:34

Very true I still have to buy nappies as we are only giving 3 over a 24 hour period. Found them but they are really cheap but like you said cheaper than nappies in the long run.

www.amazon.co.uk/Bambino-Mio-Potty-Training-Pants/dp/B00M2RTUKK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2UJG5V2TM64KI&keywords=bambino%2Bmio%2Btraining%2Bpants&sprefix=Bambino%2BMio%2Btri%2Caps%2C137&th=1&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1585517694&sr=8-3

Have you thought about trying the little frog urinal? Had a few parents recommend it to me. Oh bless him my 3 year old is nearly bigger than him

Biggreen87 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:17:37

Oh he's tiny! You'll probably find really cheap pull ups and their may be other washable options if you have a look about. My son was huge for his age and was in huggies drynites 8-15 pull up at age 4! Are options for washable pants where limited.

Biggreen87 Sun 29-Mar-20 22:15:46

They aren't cheap but in the long run save a lot of money as they are washable and last ages. I used to spend over £80 per month on pads which is alot of money considering how long he was in them.

They have all the measurements on their website. I would absolutely measure him and not just go of the sizing. If they are to big they won't work properly. They are vat exempt if you fill in the form.

He just all of a sudden decided to start standing up, i wish he hadn't in truth haha.

FireUnicorn Sun 29-Mar-20 21:53:11

thank you I found them online and they aren't cheap, I can get 10 pairs off pants in Asda for £4 lol are they true to size? my son is pretty small with no waist and still in a size 3 to 4.

Don't like teaching them to stand up lol my oldest son is fine, youngest has just started to stand up so I know all about the mess lol.

Biggreen87 Sun 29-Mar-20 21:38:04

Definitely go off him, you don't want him getting distressed. We definitely rushed ahead once we got the first wees which was definitely the wrong decision.

The first wee was quite quick as we took him very regularly and he was happy to sit on the toilet without his nappy. The major issue was he then got wind of this and started holding and urinating in his pad. That's when we switched to padded pants as he didn't like the feel when he went in them. For a long time he would sometimes go on the toilet and more often wee in his pants, consistency took a long time. He now just wanders off to the toilet himself and decided about 3 months ago he'll start standing up when he urinates (he has the worst aim in the world lol).

It been a while but our incontinence service was offering samples of the pants i mentioned. Might be worth asking them as they aren't overly cheap.

FireUnicorn Sun 29-Mar-20 21:20:09

Brilliant thank you I'd see if I can find some training pants! It might make it a little less stressful. Will give pull ups ago as well, yes we get the libero size 7 nappies from the incontinence service. After that they give pads which wouldn't be any good.

Feeling a bit more hopefully with potty training him again. How long did it take for your son to do his first wee on the toilet? Just wondering how many days to wait before going back to nappies and trying again at a later date

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in