Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

We got DLA!!!!!

(17 Posts)
bonkerz Mon 03-Sep-07 22:05:08

after 12 weeks of faffing around we finally got told today DS will get lower rate mobility and middle rate care! Am so relieved as i gave up work on friday to be around if DS needs me at school etc.

Does middle rate care allowance automatically entitle me to carers allowance?????

evenhope Mon 03-Sep-07 22:09:35

Well done!

I think (but I'm not sure) that carers allowance depends on your income and how many hours you work (under 15 a week?). If you've given up work I would claim for it- they can only say no!

coppertop Mon 03-Sep-07 22:15:06

I don't know about carers allowance but if you get tax credits make sure you phone and let them know about the DLA. You will get extra money.

Congratulations!

bonkerz Mon 03-Sep-07 22:15:10

yeah i gave up work friday so am now unemplyed

bonkerz Mon 03-Sep-07 22:18:13

is it silly to feel like we finally have proof of DS problems?

coppertop Mon 03-Sep-07 22:18:53

Not silly at all!

bonkerz Mon 03-Sep-07 22:21:18

thank you. feel i have finally proved my DS has difficulties and wont feel so embarrassed when people stare cos he is screaming

Sidge Mon 03-Sep-07 22:23:58

Great news!

Yes you can claim CA - more here Carers's Allowance

You can only get it if you earn less than (I think) £84 per week, after deductions. It is a taxable allowance so you will have to declare it for Tax Credits etc.

Howdydoody Mon 03-Sep-07 22:24:08

I get middle rate DLA for ds2 and get carer's allowance too. I work but can only earn up to £350 approx a month before it gets cut. If you can prove he needs care more than a "normal" child the same age you should get carers allowance too

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 03-Sep-07 22:24:25

Good news bonkerz smile

You need to apply for Carers Allowance. I think you can do it online.

Sidge Mon 03-Sep-07 22:25:08

Hmm, not sure how I managed to squeeze an extra "s" into Carer's... grin

Howdydoody Mon 03-Sep-07 22:26:35

As Sidge says you do get taxed on it but you also get an extra amount on your tax credits for having a child with disabilities which almost covers the amount you are taxed. (How many times can i use the word TAX in one message!!!!)

bonkerz Mon 03-Sep-07 22:28:00

thanks will apply now. Cant wait for the back date payment either and great timing with me giving up work on friday!!!

Do i ask for it to be backdated from date i got DLA granted from IYKWIM????

Howdydoody Mon 03-Sep-07 22:42:11

They will tell you bonkerz when it came first be claimed from

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 03-Sep-07 22:46:20

You won't be able to back date it if you've earned over the income limit in those weeks. IYSWIM.

Sidge Mon 03-Sep-07 23:09:31

You can't get it backdated where you have earnings.

They will only allow it from after your last pay packet (if over 80-odd quid), so they will probably start it from Monday if you finished work on Friday unless you are on paid leave.

Jenkeywoo Mon 03-Sep-07 23:11:51

Well done, I'm so pleased you got your decision and also that you can now apply for CA. We've been waiting for our DLA decision since July 6th - god it's awful waiting isn't it? so they took 12 weeks for you? I guess we still have some waiting to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now