Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First day done

(6 Posts)
supportman Mon 03-Sep-07 21:54:30

Just got home from my first day, great bunch of kids and staff, too upset to say anymore at the moment. Public message board so can't say much other than very upset about the condition of one of the children.

coppertop Mon 03-Sep-07 22:15:57

Supportman

tobysmumkent Mon 03-Sep-07 22:21:21

Message withdrawn

supportman Tue 04-Sep-07 08:57:06

Thanks coppertop and tobysmumkent. Had a good nights sleep and feeling ok now. A bit of a shock as most of the clients I have worked with have been alot more independant. Apart from when I have worked with the elderly I have never had to use hoists and I have never seen a mic-key button until yesterday, are just two of the many things I am going to have to get used to now.

On the positive side the home is lovely with lots of different activity rooms, all brightly decorated and many of the rooms and bedrooms are themed and painted to different cartoons. Lots of toys and equipment for the kids to play with. Dedicated cooks and cleaners so all the time is spent playing and looking after the kids. My collegues are great and really care about the kids, all of which are adorable.

A bit boring in the morning as had to read tons of paperwork, but a neccessary evil. Then had lunch and in the afternoon spent alot of time reading stories to the kids and watching cartoons with them.

Back in wednesday and looking forward to it, just need to find ways of coping with the emotional side of it, kept it all together while on shift but cried all the way driving home.

Doing agency work today with one of my autistic clients, last day before he goes back to school tommorow.

tobysmumkent Wed 05-Sep-07 14:24:58

Message withdrawn

supportman Wed 05-Sep-07 22:26:32

Thanks again tobysmumkent, I had a much better day today after getting over the initial shock of it. Had a good day with the child that I was particually upset about and done lots of sensory and physio things with him and reading stories to him. I just have to not think about his condition and make the rest of his life as comforatable and as fulfilling as possible.

Just want to have the neccessary training to be set loose as I am doing alot of shadowing while on induction period. I am used to just getting on with the job with the agency but each company needs to go through the motions. Suppose it won't take long before I become part of the furniture though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now