Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia

(12 Posts)

I was not sure where to post this and feel a bit of a fraud because I am not really sure if Dyspraxia is a special need or not.
Anyway DS1 has been seeing a peadiatrition (sp)twice a year since june 2004 when he was almost 4 years old due to his behavior. he finds it difficult to sit down especially at school. At home he is ok when watching tv or playing computer games. I have asked the pead if she had any answers as to what could be the problem but she has always led me to beleive he is just active and not to worry.
On our last visit she said that his fine motor skills were a bit weak and that she wants him to go for an assesment to a local hospital and then she mentioned Dyspraxia.
DS is very bright and doing well at school even though he often doesnt seem to be listening in class.
If they do decide that Dyspraxia is a possibility what will happen?
Sorry if I am wasting your time on the special needs board, I really was not sure where to post this and I do realise there are far more needy people wanting help. TIA

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 15:46:25

Has he been assessed by an Occupational therapist ? If not that is probably next , then perhaps a programme of OT sessions and/or at home exercises.

I think the Occupational therapists are going to assess him

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 15:55:56

btw I always feel a bit hesitant talking about ds who has similar problems on the SN board but noone has made me feel unwanted - yet !

I just dont know what to expect, I dont see what they can do to make him less fidgety

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 16:07:08

ime they do fun games and activities, step by step, to try to see something through to a conclusion, exercises to develop muscle tone to help prevent fatigue and improve motor control. Some might be physical, gym like games or with him sitting and practising movements repetitively (with puzzles, playdough etc) perhaps to time or with slight variations. His responses show what type of method works best for him and what areas need help. You should be present at the assessment (unless you think it will distract him) and be given specific things to try at home and ideas for his school before any review. hth

thanks Lizs, i think there is a waiting list to be seen so it could be some time, I like to have some idea of what is going to happen. thanks againsmile

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 16:16:40

We waited 18 months, for an assessment and 4 sessions.

did the sessions help

LIZS Wed 29-Aug-07 16:38:27

They did help. It got ds more into the habit of exercising again - he would n't have done it for me without the reinforcement - and as he is now older (9) he realised how it might help him generally so was cooperative. tbh it was not the first time he'd had OT as he had had some privately when we lived abroad. The private OT therapy (Sensory Integration) was worked around his ideas and he led the games whereas the NHS OT was more rigid and he had to follow what was set out for him. Her conclusions and the exercises produced were pretty similar to those we had orignally but at least we have something to work on with ds' school now. Part of the benefit of it is simply the one to one attention tbh, and they can work on things without distractions or feeling self conscious of those around them watching.

wulfricsmummy Wed 29-Aug-07 16:50:27

Message withdrawn

lottiejenkins Mon 03-Sep-07 17:39:09

I have dyspraxia and so does my son, i have given up trying to drive, my son is deaf and goes to a special deaf boarding school, he gets access to occupational therapy, speech therapy and physio every week so i consider myself lucky, there are special bike attachments etc available for children with balance issues!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now