Speech Disorder

(3 Posts)
Edel2019 Thu 26-Dec-19 18:32:51

Hi everyone

I am travelling to London to bring my son to a paediatrician (or anyone who can be recommended) for a second opinion on what I've been told about him here in Ireland.

I've saved money for this trip for months so I'm willing to go private. I have absolutely no idea where to go so any advice or recommendations would really be appreciated.

He is nearly 5, and is en route to being diagnosed with Developmental Language Disorder (this used to be known as Specific Language Impairment). His language is at the level of a 3 year old.

Only place I know of is The Portland Hospital.

OP’s posts: |
MontStMichel Sat 28-Dec-19 12:18:36

If you were talking about a speech disorder, I’d be looking at the Nuffield at The Royal Nose, Ear and Throat Hospital (name might be in the wrong order, because it’s not logical)!

There is The Newcomen Centre for diagnosing complex, developmental disorders (at Guys iirc), which would include developmental language disorders.

If it’s just a developmental language disorder, a speech and language therapist would diagnose that. Ring Afasic or SOS!SEN and ask if they have any names. The last time we had DD assessed privately, we went to Karen Lansdell. However the practice where she worked closed, so I don’t know her contact details, but they might be on the ASLTIP website?

Edel2019 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:24:26

I cannot thank you ENOUGH for your reply. Thank you so so much. I'm going to look at Newcomen now. I'm really grateful

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in