Need advice on my nonverbal two year old

(3 Posts)
Mummyoftwo2019 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:10:33

Hi, has anyone got any advice on what I should do next. Basically my two year old boy doesn’t say a single word, he babbles a lot and is constantly shouting but there’s no actually words there. He has a very restricted diet as he refuses most foods and he go into a rage if I go near him with a spoon. He attends nursery and I’ve approached them about what to do but they’ve been very unhelpful. He has other behaviours that are a cause for concern for me. He does things such as, bang his head on the floor for no reason, hits himself in the head with his fists, walks everywhere on his tip toes and when you talk to him or call his name he won’t respond to you at all, it’s as if he doesn’t hear you. He will also cover his ears if he hears something he doesn’t like.
I have a 10 year old son who is autistic and struggles quite badly with it. Can someone please tell me I’m not crazy as people seem to think that I’m overreacting because of my older son and his problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Biggreen87 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:21:42

Hi op,

I don't think your over reacting. Your his mum and if doesn't seem right I'd get it checked out. Have you spoken to your health visitor about your concerns?

The behaviour your describe could well be down to frustration. How close to 3 is he? Does he appear to understand anything you say?

Things to try would be intensive interaction (copying the sounds he makes), pecs, makaton to get some communication going. I would really seek advice first though. Hopefully your health visitor can do a salt referral. Some areas have initial salt drop in sessions, might be worth exploring if you area has these.

openupmyeagereyes Sun 01-Dec-19 09:29:46

I don’t think you’re overreacting either. I would see if there’s a speech and language drop in clinic that you can take him to (in our area they have them regularly at different heath centres). They will take you seriously, take a list of all the concerns you have. I would also arrange for a hearing test via the GP just to rule that out as it will be questioned later.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in