Sensory issues - advise?

(7 Posts)
laurisse Thu 28-Nov-19 09:54:40

Hi. DD(6) has what are becoming extreme issues with getting dressed. She's always been like this to a certain extent and until recently I've always just thought she was strong willed, particular about things (sensations especially) and 'quirky'.

Had a meeting with her teacher yesterday and she asked whether potentially I thought DD might be on the spectrum. Was a relief as I've been wondering the same for a year or so - but as she's doing well at school and is really eloquent and capable I'd not really fully considered it.

While I work out what to do generally I need some coping strategies for getting out of the house! She will wear things made of soft fleece, and denier tights (even the tights for kids with sensory issues are too knitted for her and 'itchy').

Anything that isn't soft or silky, that flaps or twists is a problem. Shoes need to be tightly buckled. Socks, leggings, trousers are all a no-go. She panics and says everything is weird or itchy.

Are there any helpful resources for helping with her panic? Places that are your go-to for clothes that feel ok? She doesn't have a school uniform so that's not something we need thankfully.

Sorry that's so long - am a bit lost and not sure how to help her while we pursue help from school / seek GP advise.

Thank you so much thanksbrew

OP’s posts: |
BlankTimes Thu 28-Nov-19 12:09:46

Have a look at this, it has some great explanations so you can understand sensory behaviour and some interventions to help the child to cope.
www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/social-care/disabilities/docs/young-people/Making%20Sense%20of%20Sensory%20Behaviour.pdf?v=201507131117

Throgglesprocket Thu 28-Nov-19 12:55:05

My go to places for clothes that are soft are Boden and John Lewis. Coping strategies we have employed to get our DD to wear clothes she's not so keen on are heating them up (either in the tumble dryer or with a fan heater, or leaving on a radiator), getting her to put them on whilst she's upside down. The idea is to trick her senses or overload them during the getting dressed stage - usually once the clothes are actually on, our DD is not normally too bad, unless the clothes are really bad.

We've also done fun activities whilst wearing clothes that she hates (proper school uniform next year) to try to de-sensitize her to it, but it's not easy when you're greeted with hissing at the mere mention of it!

Good luck. flowers

Grasspigeons Thu 28-Nov-19 18:32:46

We find a good foot massage before putting socks and shoes on helps. I also rub arms and legs too before tops and trousers go on..
As does stretching all the fibres znd warming them up a bit.

laurisse Fri 29-Nov-19 14:12:04

Thank you so much for your suggestions, really helpful - definitely think ironing / warming clothes before hand is a good idea. Helped this morning anyway!

OP’s posts: |
Tiredandweary1987 Tue 10-Dec-19 21:56:30

Hi, I had to comment as I’m in exactly the same boat. For us the sleeves have to be skin tight, leggings from one specific shop, only four pairs of socks that she’ll wear, and four pairs of knickers.

I panicked so much about the school uniform (which involves a shirt and elasticated tie 😱) but my daughter is happy to wear it now- it actually helps as it’s planned, and the same each day.
So, I know you say you aren’t having uniform, but would a uniform of some sort help (as in the same clothes each day for pre-school etc) so that you haven’t got as many changes!

Tips- rub the skin as someone said previously, putting tv on as a distraction, and holding the skin once clothes are on. A nice firm grip on a arm that has just gone into a shirt works wonders.

Hope this helps

LightTripper Tue 10-Dec-19 23:09:36

Interesting about pressure. DD often wants to put shoes on straight away once she's got school tights on as she says it makes the seams feel better. Hadn't thought of it for other irritations too, good tip thanks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in