Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

In need of ...

(6 Posts)
Wuxiapian Sun 19-Aug-07 21:26:41

... some ear plugs!

My son, almost 9, ASD wants to repeat things we've already talked about about 400 times before letting it go.

It seems to be much worse now it's holidays as is driving me round the bend!

Do any of you have the same to deal with and, if so, is there any way I can be less wound-up about it?

Many thanks in anticipation

Wuxiapian Mon 20-Aug-07 08:23:12

So, are there no other parents being driven to distraction by these verbal repetitions?

Davros Mon 20-Aug-07 08:51:33

One of the best things I ever got for DS is an Ipod Shuffle. He is non-verbal but wanted the same music over and over. We tried to reduce/eliminate the behaviour but without success and it was driving us mad on car journeys. Maybe something like that would distract him? You could download spoken word progs and stuff about anything he is interested in (or obsessed with).

sarah293 Mon 20-Aug-07 09:31:47

Message withdrawn

totaleclipse Mon 20-Aug-07 09:52:54

All I hear most of the day is humming and thud thud thud, as ds rocks constantly on the sofa which is againsed a false wall.

flyingmum Mon 20-Aug-07 12:55:47

Yes the repetition used to drive me potty as well and on a bad day (his - when he is so yonderly he is not really with us) it still does. However, it does improve and now he only really goes on and on about things as I say on a really yonderly day. Otherwise he is pretty ok now - a bit repetitive (about the bloody cats on holiday) but not nearly as bad and doesn't seem to HAVE to ask me the same question six million times which he used to do. Still repeats when anxious and in social situations though.

The repetition will get better though - honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now