Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Newly found results for MRI. Don't really know how I feel (long)

(3 Posts)
Nat1H Wed 15-Aug-07 09:44:28

Went to see our Neurologist yesterday - have only seen her once before, 3 months ago, as our old Neuro retired. She said last time that she thought there might be something on the MRI scan (this had never been picked up on before) and this appointment she came back with a definate area of damage to the brain. It was reassuring to know that we could see the damage (and it will give our solicitor more to go on), but I now feel depressed somehow. At first I was elated. I have always (secretly) blamed myself for DS2's brain damage, but yesterday it was confirmed that it happened around the time of birth. In once sense, this was a relief for me and I know it provides ammunition for our solicitor. I had an horrendous 2 weeks admitted to hospital before DS2 was born, and then he wasn't treated appropriately after birth, so we have always blamed the hospital for his brain damage. Now I have got over the initial excitement of the discovery, I am feeling quite depressed. It somehow seems more tangible now. He HAS got brain damage and there's nothing we can do about it. Of course, this discovery won't change DS2 or the way we treat him at all. It's more my feelings that have changed. My husband also feels the same way. Is it normal to feel this way after such a long time of living and dealing with DS2's disability?

gess Wed 15-Aug-07 09:50:40

<<hugs>> I think it is normal, as if throws up so many 'what ifs'. I think its also normal to feel incredibly flat about a week or so after any big news/big assessment. Go easy on yourselves. Can you take some time out (by which I mean have some quiet evenings/days/ time to be a bit peaceful iyswim).

FioFio Wed 15-Aug-07 13:11:08

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now