Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Appontment with school paediatrician re ASD - what should I expect?

(7 Posts)
allthatglisters Tue 14-Aug-07 15:45:27

I've already filled in and sent back some questionnaires. DS (age nearly 11) will be seen for assessment when the paediatrician next has a 'clinic' at the school and I will be going in too. I am in Cambridgeshire - does anyone have any experience of what sort of thing happens?(BTW DS has already had an Ed. Psych. assessment.) For example will they also look at his general development (he has some what may be unrelated things - flat feet etc but maybe a review would be useful). Will he be seen separately from me (I don't mind, I'm just wondering)? And, did you find it useful?

Peachy Tue 14-Aug-07 15:48:28

All Paediatricians ime are different and have their own way. At our first appointments though, it was just about taking a history, observing child a little, and arranging any other reports- SALT would probably be appropriate in your son's case, for example.

I usually get hyped up (or have done in the past- hope never to have another 'first' appointment, iyswim) then come away feeling even more in limbo. But its best really, so they get the right answers.

Hope it goes well.

allthatglisters Tue 14-Aug-07 16:03:08

Peachy - Do you mean with your DC present? - DS knows he is a little unusual let's say, but not about a possible ASD dx - I was planning on telling him that it's cos he's so good at computing or something like that! Even if he does get a dx, I am planning on putting a very positive slant on it.

allthatglisters Tue 14-Aug-07 17:41:15

.... but thank you, that gives me some idea. DS has already had SALT when younger.

I would love to hear from anyone else too - is everyone on holiday ATM?!

Peachy Tue 14-Aug-07 18:06:10

DC's were rpesent yes, ds3 wouldn't have understood a word tbh, ds1 was 6 so woudl ahve done, but a lot of it ws done with ds1 engaged in otehr activities in another part of the office.

allthatglisters Tue 14-Aug-07 19:07:27

oh, so were there several people there then?

Peachy Wed 15-Aug-07 09:20:18

Just a trainee Dr who sort of entertained ds whilst also trying to listen to what was going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now