Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD being discussed on RADIO4 @ 4.30 TODAY

(5 Posts)
MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:01:48

No idea what the programme content is.....

MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:03:21

thuis is what the bbc say....

Programme 2 - ADHD

As more and more children in the UK are diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Vivienne Parry explores how and where we draw the line between ADHD and 'normal'.

How far is it a medical decision, or how far is it based on how society and schools in particular expect children to behave? "

MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:04:54

...and this is the next few programmes

"Programme 3 - Puberty

How do the health professionals define the average age for beginning puberty, and if your child starts very early or still shows no signs in late adolescence, is medical intervention appropriate?

Vivienne Parry investigates, and finds that normal puberty in Blackpool is quite different to that in Bangladesh.

Programme 4 - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

How many of us check the floor is not too slippery before we get out the bath?

This is quite normal, but imagine being compelled to check so many times that you miss a night out with your friends.

This is the real predicament of a person with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which affects 2-3% of the population.

Vivienne Parry finds out when repetitive actions or intrusive thoughts no longer become normal.

MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:13:54

.........and if you miss it...theres always the 'listen agaim' feature on radio4

MissesF Wed 08-Aug-07 16:52:51

BL&%$Y typical...i have missed it....my FIL phoned....just as it started...so i'm deliberately missing the rest- will listen to it on website when the boys are in bed tonight!

the bit that i did here sounds relevant to that big descision- to medicate or not.

we chose to use medications 6 years ago...and have never regreted it. sometimes we wonder what would have happened if we hadn't- would his needs have been met better in other ways....but at almost 14 HE says HE is GLAD we chose to medicate.

and that is what is hardest...YOU have to decide whether to give your CHILD a powerful drug. i wish it was not a choice- i wish it was like many other drugs...no choice- as it is one hell of a descision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now