Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any ideas on how to stop Ds from chewing?

(19 Posts)
PersonalClown Fri 27-Jul-07 18:54:56

Especially his clothes!
I'm fed up with misshapen, soggy sleeves or necklines.
He doesn't chew anything else just his clothes. I've tried giving him bits of fabric to chew on but it has to be the clothes he is wearing.
AAARRRGGGHHH!

Davros Fri 27-Jul-07 18:58:54

I know you can get things specially for chewers but I don't know how effective they are, look at www.fledglings.org.uk They don't list their products but will send you a catalogue. Not sure about any other ideas.....

PersonalClown Fri 27-Jul-07 19:03:21

I'll give them a try but it may just be case of going through clothes faster than I thought.

r3dh3d Fri 27-Jul-07 22:13:30

Which bits does he chew? I find summer less of a problem because she's in short sleeves and unobtrusive necklines. So easier to divert to a chew toy or blankie or whatever as the clothes are intrinsicly less "tasty" this time of year. You might be able to dress him in a way that makes it easier to break/divert the habit?

PersonalClown Fri 27-Jul-07 22:16:46

The sleeves when long and any neckline. He hoists them up so he can chew!
Any neckline, Vneck, round, shirts, jumpers, jackets all have chew marks.
The only way round it I think is to keep him topless but then he goes and dresses himself anyway!

Wuxiapian Sat 28-Jul-07 18:09:30

My son does the same.

Don't know how to get him to stop.

LIZS Sat 28-Jul-07 18:21:37

ds did this , less so now although his cuffs are gnawed.

Wuxiapian Sat 28-Jul-07 19:09:33

Aww, LIZS. Bless.

Dinosaur Mon 30-Jul-07 22:01:46

Sympathies. DS3 doesn't chew his clothes (yet) but he chews his books - there are great lumps gnawed out of all his board books!

ClutterJunkie Wed 01-Aug-07 22:20:34

..we have not mastered the chewing thing yet...ds1 is 13 with AS/ADHD and still chews playstation controllers,gameboys,pens (and practically eats them too).

ds2 (AS)is the same plus bites buttons

ds3 chews school polo shirt collars and any long sleeves - so has no polo shirts at home (he hates collars...) and keep house warm all year so he can wear short sleeves year-round.He also chews velcro...on shoes/hats etc.

Other items chewed in house are remote controls,video/dvd boxes,cushions,towels etc

have used "stop'n'grow" with some sucess - that stuff that deters nail biting.

have painted it on tv remote...and caught my husband out as turned out he was know to chew the odd remote too!!! (well...like father - like sons!)

ManxMum Fri 03-Aug-07 13:47:51

Try asking your OT. Ours gave us a chewy tube.
http://www.chewytubes.com

Could it be the casein in your washing powder? Maybe trying 'wash balls' instead could help?

My DS (7) is a chewer, especially cd's and dvd's!

ClutterJunkie Fri 03-Aug-07 14:46:33

manx- you've made me remember something that i heard about sleeve chewers...something about the fibres etc...but now i'm wondering about the caesin???

tell me more!

ManxMum Sat 04-Aug-07 15:41:15

If I remember rightly, it's the whey powder that is used in the manufacture of washing powders that can be the problem.

How old is your child? Could it be teeth? My DS is 7 and teeth are appearing everywhere! He especially loves velcro and we usually have to cut it of every coat he has (8 per winter!)

ClutterJunkie Sat 04-Aug-07 17:13:03

yes..alex is 8 and his very back teeth have been bothering him1 hadn't thought of that!

aloha Sat 04-Aug-07 17:19:51

ds, 5, aspergers also chews all his clothes. at school he has a chewy sort of bracelet made of therapeutic plastic to gnaw on. And a stress ball he also chews. I'm got used to it now really, though I have to stop him chewing things like metal gate bolts and railings - and mouthing glass shop counters!
Typical Aspergers/dyspraxia thing. Sensory feedback seeking and a stress related issue too for ds - finds it comforting. Lots of people do - hence the number of chewed pens and pencils in the world.

ClutterJunkie Sat 04-Aug-07 21:18:16

aloa...tom (13) chews along pencils from 1 end to the other...splitting it so the lead falls out!
he does the same with pens!
the only pen we've managed to find which lasted more than 1 day was a biro that had a twist action...he was unable to dismantle it- and enjoyed fiddling with the 'twist mechanism' so much that it didn't enter his mouth!

that's actually a point in itself...alot of chewing in our house can be swapped for "fiddle toys"... even with tom at 13 i can go up to him mid chew- and put something in his hands and he'll start 'exploring' by hand..may still mouth it...

with alex (8) i have even placed his old teethers in his fiddle box...he unfortunately has bitten off a few chunks...but at least i haven't resorted to my last resort idea...to get some dog toys!!!

Pinkchampagne Sun 05-Aug-07 10:59:22

My DS is always chewing his clothes too. He doesn't have a dx yet, we are still going through assessment process, but I feel he is probably dyspraxic/AS.
He is always chewing his sleeves, and sometimes he will have the handle of his book bag in his mouth. It drove me mad, but I hadn't realised it was a typical AS thing.

LIZS Sun 05-Aug-07 11:16:53

I was told it is a sensory thing so could overlap with all sorts of conditions or exist on its own as much as stress related.

MissesF Sun 05-Aug-07 12:55:54

ds3- licks alot too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now