Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to get Spongebob into DS, new school

(19 Posts)
jenk1 Fri 27-Jul-07 16:32:43

DS new school has said they would rather DS didnt bring any spongebob paraphenalia when he starts.
i understand why but SB is like his security.
He is feeling quite anxious that he cannot take anything SB with him.
Not even pencils with his picture on they said.
i cant think of anything else, they supply all uniform,books,stationery etc and have said that its better if he brings a bag for it to be plain.

i thought about socks but then knowing ds he would be pulling his trousers up and talking to his socks!!!!!

racking my brain for ideas and cant think of any!!!!

lou33 Fri 27-Jul-07 16:42:11

why cant he?

jenk1 Fri 27-Jul-07 16:46:52

they didnt really elaborate, they just said its better that he doesnt bring it, its a school for children with EBD and also children with various PDD,s on the high functioning side, DH thought it might be because there could be a few kids with SB obsessions and it might get in the way of them doing their work.

lou33 Fri 27-Jul-07 16:49:00

what have they suggested he can use as a substitute security blanket?

jenk1 Fri 27-Jul-07 16:59:54

thats just it, they havent, i mean surely they will have to give him some leeway, he,s not been to school for 2 years and he,s going to find it very hard, SB is in practically every room in the house, he,s in the car, he has given each of my sisters a SB cuddly toy for when he goes to their house.
i think it will affect him greatly if they dont let him have something with it on.

i dont know much about special schools but i would have thought they could accomodate this sort of thing.

lou33 Fri 27-Jul-07 17:02:14

hmmm well if it were me (who can be fairly assertive esp wrt my kids and their happiness), i'd give them a call and ask them what they were putting in place to keep his anxiety levels down, and if you were not happy say that you would be sending in something that he feels safe with until they have something else to offer

Troutpout Fri 27-Jul-07 17:11:43

If it will affect him greatly Jenk...then i'm sure that they wouldn't mind something...i mean even just to make life easier for them settling him in.
Surely..

I'd do as lou says and say simply that he needs it...it seems daft to make things harder for him with a new start like this

or...sneakily sew them into his pockets...or line his bag

Perigrine Fri 27-Jul-07 17:16:14

SpongeBod underpants - or buy something little with it on- i'm still thinking along the lines of underpants. Cut it out and sew it into the pcket of his trousers, then it will be secret, put he would be able to feel it in his pocket. Sorry if this is no use at all

P

Perigrine Fri 27-Jul-07 17:16:56

Only read the OP but TP and I are one the same wave length

macwoozy Fri 27-Jul-07 17:38:41

Will your ds be having packed lunch? How about a spongebob packed lunch box?

Nbg Fri 27-Jul-07 17:40:52

I dont know how old he is jenk but what about a vest or tshirt under his school shirt?

Or could he have a spongebob bag for his schoo stuff?

jenk1 Fri 27-Jul-07 19:28:02

spongebob undies!!!! now why didnt i think of that?
my mum suggested a watch as well, cos he can cover that up with the cuff of his jumper.

i will definately have to speak to them about it though because its not just a fussy thing we are talking about, he talks to SB like he,s his best friend, he is what has helped him through his breakdown and he makes him feel secure.

his psych is phoning the headteaher before he starts i wonder if i can get him to mention it as well, they would probably take more notice of a professional.

thanks for the ideas and helping me realise that im not just being over protective-well ok just a bit but given what he,s gone through i cant not be.

lou33 Fri 27-Jul-07 20:12:59

i have spongebob undies

jenk1 Fri 27-Jul-07 21:16:00

thats ok lou, my 15 year old neice wears them and tells me they are "groovy"

Whizzz Fri 27-Jul-07 21:18:57

Or sew a small SB item into the lining of his blazer / pocket so he can feel it there bt not get it out to get in the way of school

macwoozy Sat 28-Jul-07 11:43:57

New look sell lots of different spongebob stuff including watches. My ds has one on each wrist at the moment, one has the time for the UK, and the other is the time set on the Club Penguin web site

lou33 Sat 28-Jul-07 17:09:11

yeh but she is 15, i am 40

Jenkeylovesdazzy Sat 28-Jul-07 21:55:43

Hi Jenk, I hope you can find a way to sneak SB in, it does seems a bit cruel really but I know what a massive deal getting this school place is so it's a tough one. I recently got some little iron-on transfers to decorate one of dd's t-shirts, they seem to have quite a good selection of sb ones here:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=spongebob+transfer

coppertop Sat 28-Jul-07 22:09:01

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested but it's so that a school designed for children with SN is being so inflexible (if that's a word??) about this.

Good luck with finding a way to sneak in SB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now