Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Music therapy, has it been good for your dc?

(17 Posts)
gracej Fri 20-Jul-07 07:18:21

I have put DS (2.6 years old, has developmental delay) on a waiting list, but it is expensive.
What do you think? I am happy to pay for it if it will help DS, otherwise, I really could use the money for something else.

PussinWellies Fri 20-Jul-07 10:57:17

I don't know yet -- but mine will finally get it from September through his school (he's 11). A friend who used to attempt to teach him piano suggested this instead and says it's fab. Sorry, not much help, but didn't want your post to be ignored!

moondog Fri 20-Jul-07 10:59:10

I'm a speeach and lang. therapist and work extensively with music therapists.

They are wonfderful wonderfu lpeople.

I can't rate itb highly enough.

If you have the money,I would urge you to pay yourself.

They are highly trained people.

moondog Fri 20-Jul-07 10:59:30

Sorry for illiterate post.
I have a brain..honest!

Davros Fri 20-Jul-07 12:10:29

DS did music therapy for about 2 years. It was £15 per half hour session which I thought was pretty good. I can't say it changed him at all but it certainly did him no harm and was good for him to develop relationships with his therapists and experience something new if nothing else. I found it helped me a lot as it meant I had somewhere to take him every week and could practice doing that as it was very difficult. So, although we were going to the same place, I didn't know how close we could park and would have to get him from the car to the centre and learn to manage him. I had great respect for his therapists who I had a meeting with every term where we watched some video of sessions and discussed any issues/developments. Their observations were surprisingly consistent with his ABA team! It also really helped me enjoy him as an individual and think of him on an emotional level, not just behaviour, behaviour, behaviour.
Personally I doubt if it would have startling results with most children with ASD but there are many levels to what it can offer.

gracej Fri 20-Jul-07 12:11:11

Thanks for answering PussinWellies. Good luck with your DS's therapy.
Wow moondog, you've convinced me. Will go ahead and pay for them then. Won't buy any clothes for the next year or so.
DS really liked music and songs. I am really looking forward to starting now.

SpiderBaby Fri 20-Jul-07 12:14:52

my daughter recieves group music therapy at school. For dd it has improved her confidence and brought out her very outgoing streak. She likes to perform to the rest of the group now and I honestly believe it has helped her with other areas of her life. Like speech and self help.

gracej Fri 20-Jul-07 12:31:26

Thanks Davros and SpiderBaby.
It is a bit more expensive here Davros.
But you have all been so positive I am going to go for it.
As you say, it is not all about behaviour and learning, it is also about confidence. Cannot wait to start.

moondog Fri 20-Jul-07 17:23:01

Grace,if relatives ask what you want for your child's birthday or Christmans,why not start a little music therapy fund?
Better than more plastic tat eh?

Interesting what you say Davros re consistencies with ABA team.A lot of people think ABA and music therapy are incompatible and they're not! Not at all.

Had a long discussion with a music therapist on this point last week.Music therapy sessions for me have helped unearth some fantastic reinforcers.

Also great point about it making you think about emotional issues.

Davros Fri 20-Jul-07 18:15:59

Moondog, good idea about asking for "music therapy vouchers" as gifts!! Just what I thought about expecting conflicting observations from Music Therapists and ABA team. They were very consistent and very close on views on causes, patterns etc. Although the Music Therapy was rather about expressing himself and freedom to do that, they didn't let him run amok and used some mildly behavioural methods to manage him, e.g. no access to desired instrument unless he gets off the grand piano etc!!

gracej Fri 20-Jul-07 19:15:13

moondog, great idea about the fund.
Actually, the reason I am going to be broke is because after much deliberation DH and I have decided to start ABA for DS.
ABA is just so expensive. It really seems an extortionate amount of money to me.
They charge per day what the company I used to work for charged other companies per day.
Parents are not companies, our workflow works somewhat differently!!!
I hope the effort will be worthed.
Why is it so expensive?

gracej Fri 20-Jul-07 19:41:05

oops, sorry meant cashflow, not workflow.
I think I need some sleep!

Davros Fri 20-Jul-07 21:20:07

The greatest expsense in ABA, I found, is wages and that is impacted on by number of hours and hourly rate (obviously!). The prices some therapists charge now turn my blood cold and the rates parents are prepared to pay!! You can be creativeL
- do some therapy yourself (not that I did)
- get other family members involved
- look for volunteers (church, six formers??)
- use cheaper therapists more as long as they are capable
- do as much admin etc as poss yourself
- use DLA, Child Benefit and Carers' Allowance (if you get it) towards therapy
- ask people to give money to go towards therapy instead of gifts (as Moondog suggested for music therapy)
- try to get Direct Payments from Social Services and use that to pay therapists......
HTH

gracej Sat 21-Jul-07 05:58:10

Thanks Davros.
I am not in the UK. I have only just started talking to the person that will come to assess DS, so it is still early days. I am planning to do all the therapy myself (I know I am mad). If I really cannot cope, then maybe I'll get one extra person, but don't know if here are any ABA knowledgeable people in this country.
What upsets me is the daily rate this therapist who will put us on track is charging, totally outrageous.
I am starting to wonder if they are taking advantage of desperate parents trying to do the best they can for their DC.

moondog Sat 21-Jul-07 14:43:22

Grace,have you been on the Yahoo ABA chat forum?
I haven't yet but the people I am doing my MSc in ABA with (many of them already therapists) say it is a good site.

Other recommended one is are www.ukyap.org

moondog Sat 21-Jul-07 14:45:12

I have also been recommended 'Beahavioural Intervention for Young Children with Autism-A manual for parents and professionals' (Maurice Green & Luce)

Available from Taskmaster resources 0116 270 4286

£30.95

Davros Sat 21-Jul-07 19:14:00

I also strongly recommend the book Moondog suggests, if you buy only one book then make it this one. In theory you should not do all the therapy yourself as the child cannot technically master skills. But if its your only option then better to do that than nothing. Are you sure there is no-one else who can assess or start off your prog or others in your country??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now