Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

motbility car question (re. spare tyre/wheel)

(17 Posts)
SpiderBaby Thu 19-Jul-07 19:21:11

I have had to call out rac today due to a ripped/slashed tyre on my renault motbility car. I was a little suprised when the spare tyre I paid £100 for when I collected the car was one of these 'temporary' tyres. Are they called spacesaver tyres or something? I am pretty sure they dont cost £100 (!!)

I was just wondering whether this is always the case of what they provide you with....before I ring up and complain

There is definately space for a REAL tyre btw as its a grand scenic and even dh has a 'proper' tyre (with alloy) on his clio.

Another thing is. The tyre has been damaged by me clipping the kerb () whilst parking.........I presume kwik fit will charge me for a new one? and can I just take it to a local garage instead as it will be cheaper (if I have to pay that is)? or will kwik fit process it as one of my 'free tyres?

Sorry i am all new to this

gess Thu 19-Jul-07 19:57:39

motability spare tyres (I have a scenic grande as well) are meant to be a proper spare not the spacesaver (that's how the standard scenic comes). Maybe they'[ve changed it trhough i didn't pay £100 for my proper one.

I clipped a tyre on my car and kiwk fit changed it for free and charged to to motability.

I would ring and complain as I know when I got mine 3 years ago it was a proper tyre at no extra cost.

lou33 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:03:17

the grand scenic doesnt have a spare tyre, you get this kit instead

also motability told me i get a tyre allowance each year for free, did you check with your dealer?

SpiderBaby Thu 19-Jul-07 20:05:26

renault have said my tyre allowance is a spare set over the 3 years. i wondered if this actually covered accidental damage though or just wear and tear?

lou33 what do you mean they have this kit instead?

gess Thu 19-Jul-07 20:07:56

oh they've changed it then because when I got the grande scenic they said that although the tyre kit was standard for the model that motability insisted on a proper tyre.

I think that will be accidental as well spider.

SpiderBaby Thu 19-Jul-07 20:10:33

gess, that was my understanding aswell about the tyre. thats why i paid £100. I will ring up tommorrow and complain then

onlyjoking Thu 19-Jul-07 20:11:59

you don't have to pay anything to slowfit
they take your reg number and phone motorbility.
i dunno if there is a limit, my last car had 3 new tyres no charge.
i got a new car last week and there is no spare at all. just a fixing kit.

lou33 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:15:36

some sort of tyre gunk you pump into the tyre to keep it inflated instead

i am sure i was told i get 4 free tyres a year int he allowance , when i got he car in may

maybe i am mistaken

onlyjoking Thu 19-Jul-07 20:18:54

i have the gunk stuff too, dunno where it is thou, must have a look it must be hidden somewhere.

lou33 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:25:29

in the boot, just behind the second row of seats , there is a compartment you can unlock

it's in there

onlyjoking Thu 19-Jul-07 20:29:51

i have a citreon C4 grand picaso Lou.

lou33 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:30:38

ah lol

ignore me then

onlyjoking Thu 19-Jul-07 20:34:13

i should have paid attention when they told me about everything. will have a look tomorrow

lou33 Thu 19-Jul-07 20:36:18

it should be in your manual tho

onlyjoking Thu 19-Jul-07 20:46:54

i will have a look, when i get five minutes!

SpiderBaby Fri 20-Jul-07 11:56:32

omg onlyjoking, I know why you call it slowfit now!!!!!!

they did it for free btw..

onlyjoking Fri 20-Jul-07 14:41:29

yes they were s-l-o-w
i tookthe car for it's MOT and it failed on one of the front tyres[drivers side]anyway young lad at slowfit, had a look at it scratched his head for a while then fetched "the boss" the boss told him to take wheel off to get a better look as the couldn't see a slash in said tyre, they still couldn't see it so... the changed the passenger front tyre as the saw a mark on it and thought the MOT peeps had put wrong trye down.
off i trundled back to MOT place, much shaking off heads, he took me out to the car and showed me the very visible slash throu the tread, so i went back to slowfit with bloody great chalk arrows on side of tyre saying "look here" i did get it done in the end but it did take 21/2 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now