Anyone's child on Abilify?

(4 Posts)
jogalong Fri 03-May-19 19:59:45

Ds 9 was prescribed Abilify ( arirpiprazole) last December. Initially he was extremely sleepy but when the dose was reduced he settled on it. He's now on 2mg morning and 1 in the evening.
It has really helped reduce his anxiety and regulate him. Thankfully life is better for us all now.
Just would like some info from anyone who has experience of using it.
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
jogalong Sat 11-May-19 22:24:03

Bump

NoHaudinMaWheest Sun 12-May-19 16:58:36

Ds was on ariprirazole for about 6 yrs (16-22) for severe OCD along with other medication. I think it did have some helpful effect though it is hard to disentangle from other treatment.

He was initially very sleepy but that effect wore off. However he then became very tired and sleepy again. It was very hard to work out why this was. Possibly the medication or possible as stress reaction (ASD, OCD, coping at university away from home). As his OCD has been stable for some years we decided to ask about coming off the aripriprazole to see if it helped.

He did this very gradually over the Christmas holidays. There has been no increase in OCD symptoms but it hasn't helped the sleepiness/tiredness.

He has however lost weight without changesto his diet so it seems pretty clear that his weight gain was due to the aripriprazole.
I am not sure if any of that helps?

jogalong Mon 13-May-19 21:16:38

Yes thank you that's a great help as ds has put on a lot of weight since he started on it. But he's much more regulated and stable so I don't want to change his meds at the moment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in