Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

im annoyed at letter from headteacher

(9 Posts)
jenk1 Fri 13-Jul-07 18:04:49

it is addressed to ALL PARENTS, but as we are the only ones who do this, we know its addressed to us:
We often park around the back of the nursery when we drop off/pick up DD.
She has hemiplegia and suspected ASD and often refuse to or is too tired to walk.
The teachers park there as well as the headteacher, we havent noticed any other parents parking to pick up/drop off their children.
we have been doing this for a long time, but last month we had a very tense meeting with the headteacher over dd coming home with bruises and telling us that children were hitting her, the headteacher was not impressed and hinted that dd was telling us these things cos thats what we WANT TO HEAR
last week she was stood in the car park and looked at us for a very long time and i said to dh she is not happy with us parking here and he said tough we have a daughter with a disability.
anyway the letter is telling parents not to park in this car park as there is a health and safety issue, and she doesnt want any children being knocked over BUT she and all the other teachers park there every day.
as well as the cleaners and any other members of staff so if there is a health and safety issue surely they shouldnt be parking there too?
am i right to feel put out or is this just a normal thing from a nursery?
TIA

edam Fri 13-Jul-07 18:09:19

Is the car park owned by the nursery? If so, I imagine they can make their own rules, I'm afraid, but worth checking with someone who knows about parking law. And finding out whether they need to provide disabled spaces, if you have a blue badge. (Although if you really are the only parents who use this car park, I guess you could argue discrimination under the DDA.)

Ds's nursery is part of a primary school. The car park is very clearly marked as only for teachers, not parents, which is fair enough. But there is parking on the road.

Blandmum Fri 13-Jul-07 18:11:13

Worth asking them for a blue badge space. My kids school have done this on the car parking space that the own.

NAB3 Fri 13-Jul-07 18:11:42

I know you are cross but my honest opinion is just because the staff park there doen't mean parents can.

jenk1 Fri 13-Jul-07 18:30:40

its not marked as parking for teachers or anyone and there are no signs up, im annoyed at her timing, its pathetic, she,s never bothered before so why now?

moondog Fri 13-Jul-07 20:54:09

Well obviously jenk,the easiest thing to do is ask her directly instead of second guessing.

gess Fri 13-Jul-07 23:51:55

I asked ds2's school whether they minded me using the teachers car park to pick up ds2 when I have ds1 with me- explained he has a blue badge. A car park pass came home in the book bag the next day, and they help me out of the door.

AttilaTheMum Sat 14-Jul-07 00:09:41

Our junior school car park is for staff plus parents who are helping in school. We don't normally let parents drop children off, as it's the constant movement of cars that is dangerous - once the staff are parked they don't usually move their cars while the children are around. However,anyone with medical reasons can use the car park, as well as the children in the ASD resource as it can cause them stress to be driving round looking for a space.
Why not ask the head outright if you can park there because of your DD's condition? At least then she'd have to come up with a direct reply.

jenk1 Sat 14-Jul-07 09:18:45

yes i will.
ill explain to her that we have a blue badge and that its hard getting dd up the long path as she refuses to walk BUT i still dont understand the health and safety issue because ALL children go home through the front door, its only us that use the car park when picking dd up, so there are no children running around to get knocked over anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: