Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Haircut

(19 Posts)
mummy2aaron Fri 13-Jul-07 17:39:01

DS2 needs a haircut and goes ballistic in the Barbers - what do I do - leave it or persvere.

sarah293 Fri 13-Jul-07 17:45:17

Message withdrawn

ladygrinningsoul Fri 13-Jul-07 17:55:45

Cutting it at home worked better for us, with the bribe of a present afterwards. He got the idea after the first time.

PersonalClown Fri 13-Jul-07 17:57:06

Ds hates having his hair cut but tolerates me shaving it. He whines and snivels all the way though it but he knows that I won't touch him for weeks after!

mummy2aaron Fri 13-Jul-07 17:58:59

I havr tried it myself and he goes crazy last time i used the clippers and only got a quarter done. DH held him down for the rest and I DO NOT want to do that again.

ladygrinningsoul Fri 13-Jul-07 18:07:11

I use scissors. I think it is the sound of the clippers and hairdryers that he is afraid of.

tobysmumkent Fri 13-Jul-07 18:40:51

Message withdrawn

Troutpout Fri 13-Jul-07 18:56:24

Mine hated the scissors snipping near his ears...and the chair..and the hairdryers...ooooh...and just about everything else too
I started buzz cutting him at home from about 4. Even now, (he's 10)he still moans and flinches .If i do it quite ofton, he's better than if i leave it to get long.
It's nail cutting with my ds though...he cannot bear it!

Nat1H Sat 14-Jul-07 06:17:50

The first time DS2 had his hair cut, it took 2 to cut his hair and 2 to hold him down. Somebody actually came in from the shop next door to see what was going on!
I then started to use clippers myself, which worked for part of his head (if I stood him in the shower so he couldn't feel the falling hair touching him).
It got to the point where I couldn't even go to have my hair cut as DS2 wouldn't even come into the shop with me - I had to leave him in the car where I could see him.
The hairdresser then suggested that if I was passing the shop I should take DS2 in and sit down with him. We did this a lot! Just sitting in the shop, chatting to everybody so he got used to the noise etc. Then she started coming over and touching his hair, slowly progressing to combing and then snipping bits off. It has taken 2 years (a long tim I know), but DS2 will know go in the shop and have part of a haircut. It takes about 5 days for the hairdresser to manage to cut his hair! Hope this helps - you may have to find a hairdresser who is willing to spemd time with your child!!
Natalie

Leati Sat 14-Jul-07 06:21:57

My son did the same so I left it. About the time he turned three, people started mistaking him for a girl and that was enought to convince him that haircuts were good.

sarah293 Sat 14-Jul-07 09:31:42

Message withdrawn

2mum Sat 14-Jul-07 13:13:16

It takes me and dh to cut my sons hair and a lot of singing and distraction! I really do dread when the time comes for haircuts. We do it at home and as ds is a strong little fellow it takes 2 people to actually do it. One to use shearers and 1 to hold. I feel upset and stressed for days at seeing ds in such a state. but it has to be done his hair is quite thick, it would be easier for a girl as you can just let their hair grow. If my sons hair was thinner i would let it get longer. But keeping the routine is important and he absolutely hates it but its the only way.

pinkcandyFlooPowder Sat 14-Jul-07 20:47:31

ds1 is the same. We held him down the first few times and he got used to it. He still doesn't like having it done and will cry but doesn't need to be held any more.
good luck!

pagwatch Sun 15-Jul-07 10:52:18

Dammit - ASD son who hates hair being touched has got nits !!!
Just about tolwerates hair washing, I have to count only twenty stokes for hair brushing and hair is LONG beacuse he hates the barbers!
Any any any ideas

theheadgirl Sun 15-Jul-07 11:23:18

Oh sympathies pagwatch! My DD3 who has Downs and asd had nits, and I had to strap her in to her highchair to do the comb thru thingy. I was in fear of neighbours calling social services because of the screaming she did. In fact if you live anywhere in the north of England, you probably heard it!!
She has much improved at the hairdressers though. We always go to the same one, who is very patient, and now if I comb out all knots at home first, she tolerates it pretty well, but with lots of position changes.

ladygrinningsoul Sun 15-Jul-07 11:28:27

Too late to help this time, but Escenti do a lice repellent detangling spray which may help stop it happening again.

http://www.fmcgltd.com/

Davros Sun 15-Jul-07 14:07:13

I think the real issue is not whether boys' hair should be long or not but whether it looks neglected. I hate children with SN to have awful ill-fitting clothes, uncombed hair etc as it they stand out enough iyswim (at least DS does ).
I've gone through every permutation of the haircut issue over the years, including local standard hairdressers, doing it myself at home (that really made him look odd!!) and now we go to a barber where it is quick in the chair and out again. DS will never wear the gown so I don't bother. I always take spare clothes and treats, although he doesn't seem to need to treats so much now. He tolerates it very well, especially compared to how it used to be when we really couldn't continue to go. I can't tell you what has changed, except he's grown up a bit and is somewhat calmer. We also go before trampolining so I think he connects the two and trampolining is a treat. I think its worth trying again every now and then or going to different places.
The NAS has a downloadable fact sheet on going to the hairdressers at their website.

pagwatch Sun 15-Jul-07 17:41:34

Thanks all for the sympathy !
I put on his fav DVD - lined up his fav reward - sat him down and nit comed through really slowly.
He tolerated it really well condsidering. I got his hair wet really gradually as that is especially hard for him. I just kept thinking about not putting him off so I can do it every night for a while.
Once i started the combing he was a little upset but i think it actually felt quite good on his slightly sore and irritated head so he let me do LOADS!
Shouted at me quite a bit after and hated rinseing off but - phew ! Could have been worse.
Probably helped that I waited until DH, DS and DD were out - so no one 'helping !!!
thank anyway. Its nice when others get how hard these trivial things can be. My friend with only NT kids was all" whats the big deal"....

Davros Sun 15-Jul-07 19:04:06

Sounds like you did a great job pagwatch. I think so much of this is sensory but then I don't know why some things get better, I suppose "sensitivities" do change and come and go, its prob not just a case of desensitisation. Oh god, I remember DS screaming so much having his hair washed that a neighbour yelled out of their window. I expected Soc Svs then!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now