Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

is there anything I can do to help her at the moment?

(4 Posts)
wrinklytum Tue 10-Jul-07 22:32:37

My dd has been referred to a paediatrician re her developmental delays.

She is 19 months and can stand supported eg against a table or if I hold onto her,but she has no independent balance and is very stifflegged.She just slides forward or backward.

Is there anything I can do to help her develop,in the meantime?Any exercises anyone can reccomend?She can bumshuffle well and on a positive note has been attempting to pull up onto things,but needs lots of help.

TIA

Many thanks,Wrinkly

Jenkeywoo Tue 10-Jul-07 22:48:13

Hi Wrinklytum, I'm pleased your dd has now been referred and I hope you don't have to wait too long. My dd is a bit behind you as she is not yet crawling or bum shuffling. We have been told to try to keep moving and stretching all her limbs to ease the stiffening. Sometimes when she's playing or if we're reading a book or something I move her arms and legs. In particular her right arm is kept turned in so I try to do 'round and round the garden' to get her to turn out her arm. Sorry I can't be of more help, hang in there.

Jenny

Jenkeywoo Wed 11-Jul-07 22:19:25

We saw the physio today and she told us one of the most important things is try to move dd from her 'comfort zone' - I have a tendency to sit near her in case she falls and hand her toys out of her reach. She told me that she has to fall so she can practice saving herself. (obviously not falling onto hard floors etc but when playing on carpet etc). She also recommended putting her favourite toys on the setee and making her stand up against it to play.

Nat1H Thu 12-Jul-07 11:16:50

I have been given exactly the same advise in the past by our physio. Unfortunatly, DS would never co-operate with me. He would either ingnore me or not bother trying to get the toy I had placed on the couch or out of reach! I really found that Conductive Education was a Godsend to us! The Conductors are very strict and won't let the children get away with not doing the work, but they make it fun at the same time. Whereabouts do you live? Are there any CE centres near you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now