Suspected dyspraxia

(4 Posts)
Sherbety Thu 14-Mar-19 03:54:28

Weird time to be posting about it but I've been looking it up whilst I can't sleep.
10 year old DS has always had a lot of problems with co ordination, struggles to walk in a straight line, struggles with his handwritting, balance, he's always falling over and walking into things. Can't catch or throw things very well, causing him to dread PE lessons. He only recently got the hang of riding a bike although he's been trying to learn on and off from about age 6. He can tie his shoe laces but does it by creating two loops and tying them together, admittedly that's how I do it. He holds pens and cutlery in quite unusual ways...the list goes on and I didn't realise untill now that dyspraxia can affect social commication, though I'm not sure what it affects exactly he does struggle with social situations, with social skills aren't great in general.

I only really fully knew what dyspraxia was a few years ago, I realised this could explain a lot about myself but also realised he has a lot of the same problems. I don't think I would benefit from a diagnosis now but I think I would have during school so perhaps DS would. I would appreciate some advice as honestly I don't know a lot about it

OP’s posts: |
Sherbety Thu 14-Mar-19 09:47:01

Bump

OP’s posts: |
BGD2012 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:08:00

List your concerns and ask the school for some input, then make an appointment with your GP for a referral to an OT. I did the same for my son at 10 years old who has all the above issues. He didn't have dyspraxia but instead had ASD and also hypermobility. Due to his restricted interests he hasn't exposed himself to ball and team sports as much as other children and as a result his coordination was way behind. The hypermobility hasn't helped him with confidence in these areas either. Good luck.

HexagonalBattenburg Mon 18-Mar-19 12:57:58

DD2 is very young by all accounts but had a dyspraxia/DCD diagnosis by the age of 5 - so not all of our experience may be relevant to an older child.

She walks in a manner I can best describe as akin to one that I used to adopt as a teenager when I'd been on the vodka and was trying to pretend I hadn't been to my parents - no chance of a straight line... no spatial awareness whatsoever! Her pencil grip is quite good but she's dire using cutlery (you can get caring cutlery with indents for where they put their pointing fingers which helps a bit with this). In terms of communication - she has absolutely no concept of personal space and her manner of speech can be quite disordered at times (she also has verbal dyspraxia so struggles to articulate words clearly - the two don't always go together). Socially she's quite "young" is the best way to describe it.

Shoelaces... no bloody chance (we use the no tie ones as she's also so hard on shoes with dragging her feet that she rips the straps off mary jane style ones so brogues last a bit better), and she cannot see or feel when she's not got clothing on correctly (she has an undersensitivity to tactile stimulation though) - she won't even notice shoes are on the wrong feet at all until prompted by an adult.

I have a pile of bump notes from school on my desk inches thick - she falls over on a daily basis at the bare minimum and her coordination is really impaired - the best way I can think of to describe it is she lacks a certainty of movement... I saw another lad in one of my kids' classes and they'd been playing a game where you had to touch your head and he kept missing and the thought came into my mind that I suspected he was probably dyspraxic... couple of weeks later I was chatting to his mum and she confirmed what I'd thought.

I do strongly suspect I have the same issues DD2 has - my mind blanks out how to finish writing a word or letter a lot of the time and I can't remember how to move my pen to finish it, and I could fall over thin air as well - but there's no pathway for adult diagnosis in our NHS area and I don't think it would benefit me - but DD2 is starting to use a laptop or tablet to record a lot of her longer work at school (there's a fab app called Snaptype btw where you can photograph a worksheet and type directly anywhere on it) and school are starting to put provision in place for her which is why we went for a diagnosis where she is concerned. It's still a bit of a "here's your diagnosis now go away and get on with it and don't bother us again" type situation though (thankfully our SENCO is fab).

I videoed a lot of things like how she walked and held cutlery to show the GP when pushing for a referral - was easier than them getting her wondering why she was being asked to walk up and down a corridor at the actual appointment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in