Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Poor ds, school trip next week, he's not going.

(18 Posts)
totaleclipse Wed 04-Jul-07 23:13:31

His Language unit teacher suggested to me today that he stays behind, as she is unable to go and he wont cope alone with his mainstream class, she is right and said she make the day fun for him in the classroom, butits a shame because he was looking forward to the coach ride, he is ASD and suffers with incontenence, so he would struggle with the whole day. Its heatbreaking, he could'nt go to the pantomine at christmas with the school either because of the noise and lights etc

wrinklytum Wed 04-Jul-07 23:26:56

berolina Wed 04-Jul-07 23:27:31

poor chap. Can you do something special with him, that he would cope with, at the weekend? Maybe take him on a bus/coach somewhere

wrinklytum Wed 04-Jul-07 23:27:48

Sorry x 100000000 meant

RoundTheBend Wed 04-Jul-07 23:30:03

Is it not possible for you to go on the trip with him and help him? My ds has AS and frequently the school asked me to go along so that he did not miss out. Sorry, I do not know your circumstances, may be you have other los and it is not possible.

Yes was going to suggest the same as RTB. I have done this before so DS didn't miss out.

totaleclipse Wed 04-Jul-07 23:31:47

Yes, will do something with him, I think he isjust stating to get the sence he is 'special' now, he is 6, and today he asked me why I get cross with his twin sisters {3.7 yrs) when they wee thier pants and not him

totaleclipse Wed 04-Jul-07 23:32:52

I thought about suggesting to go with the school, but dts have thier sports day tht day.

totaleclipse Wed 04-Jul-07 23:35:29

Gosh sorry, my typing is terrible tonight.

essbeehindyou Wed 04-Jul-07 23:38:01

Message withdrawn

It's hardly in the spirit of inclusion is it? They ought to be able to provide cover in the absence of the usual LSA or similar..

gess Wed 04-Jul-07 23:53:15

oh the joys of inclusion. When ds1 was in mainstream he was only allowed on his school trip if I went. My friend has found herself in the same sitation. It's crap to be blunt.

totaleclipse Wed 04-Jul-07 23:57:52

He has only just been statemented so does'nt have a 1 on 1 teacher yet for when he is in mainstream in the afternoons, so the language unit teacher normally goes, a cover teacher is no good as he needs a familiair face or he becomes anxious, and begins to rock and wets himself.

Oh bless

Any chance another family member/close friend that he is comfortable with, could go instead? Or DH? (poss negotiating time off work as nec?)

I have one friend who could/would go in these circs if it was me. Only one mind! Atually would probably send her to sports say for the others and go on the trip. You could explain to them why.. and how important you feel it is that their brother does not miss out entirely. They would probably feel quite protective of him and agree with you.

essbeehindyou Thu 05-Jul-07 00:05:24

Message withdrawn

totaleclipse Thu 05-Jul-07 00:11:39

Well I did speak to him, and he wants to do both though the only thing he enjoys about school trips is the coach ride, so I think he will be happier at school, and he adores his language unit teacher, and she is fantastic with him.

essbeehindyou Thu 05-Jul-07 00:13:43

Message withdrawn

totaleclipse Thu 05-Jul-07 00:26:19

Thanks for the help ladies, off to bed now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now