Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

do you think under 2's should get DLA, blue badges and ......

(19 Posts)
2shoes Tue 03-Jul-07 18:20:42

a car??
on the local news thay had a story of a tot who has a rare genetic disorder. she is tube fed and has to have oxegen among other things. a big thing was made about how they can't get these things. got me thinking.
on the one side. a child that age wouldn't be walking and would need lifting in and out of the car etc. on the other hand she is disabled so shouldn't they get the help now.
wondered what people thought

FioFio Tue 03-Jul-07 18:21:53

Message withdrawn

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 03-Jul-07 18:27:29

I think the care part is a very tough call. And I suppose that's why it's so difficult to get it - proving increased needs over and above a 'normal' small child.

Getting around, well, it's a struggle with home oxygen isn't it? You can't get the bus, you only have so much time with a small canister, you need to have a sturdy pushchair to carry it. I know mums who have children with trachys who have trouble getting mobility. And they have to carry life-saving suction equipment with them or they can't go out.

MrsMuddle Tue 03-Jul-07 18:44:07

I work for a disability charity, and my understanding is that the blue badge rules changed very recently (like last month) to allow children under 2 to qualify for one IF they need heavy / bulky medical equipment.

Twiglett Tue 03-Jul-07 18:46:23

quite simply yes I do

I would bet my bottom dollar that one of those parents has to be with her at all times hence reducing the earning capacity of family by at least 50%

yes I do think they should get as much help as possible

heartinthecountry Tue 03-Jul-07 18:51:51

You can get DLA for a child under 2 for the extra care bit if they qualify. It is only the mobility element that is for children over 3.

Dingle Tue 03-Jul-07 19:19:37

We got DLA care for Amelia when she was about 4/5 months old. Basically certain aspects were just like any other baby at that age, but there were still plenty that weren't. eg, she was still only taking a very small amount of milk, so I was feeding her hourly at times, dry skin needed creams applying, congested eyes that needed cleaning, little ears that were constantly blocked with wax.... From the age of 6months I was signing to her, she had reduced hearing......that's not to mention all the the "therapies" that were already underway.

So DLA deffo!!

I struggled to even get a Blue badge at nearly 4. I tried briefly when Amelia was about 3 but I was laughed at almost, "there are plenty of 3 year old that have issues walking." Yeah, but not all of them have a learning disbility and are wearing AFOs.

One of my biggest issues wasn't necessarily the free parking, although it comes in very handy with the many hospital appointments, but to be able to park up more easily and get your disabled child in/out of the car.

Perhaps all stuations need to be assessed individually. Bit like the free nappy services. We never did get them, our area didn't provide them until fairly late ,I was told too many parents were being lazy and not bothering to toilet train their children! FGS she has Down Syndrome not a lazy parent!!Officials kept filling out wrong forms which were passed backwards and forwards. By the time it was sorted she was dry during the day, not we can't get any support for night time until she is over 7, despite her disability.

geekgirl Tue 03-Jul-07 19:26:09

we've been getting higher rate DLA since dd2 was a little baby - she was very poorly with her heart back then as well as having DS, and we never had any problems with DLA.

I do think that babies who require extra equipment such as oxygen or a suction pump should also get a blue badge - dd2 was on oxygen for a few months at home and it was just such a faff - we didn't really go anywhere other than the hospital. It's very limiting to have to lug heavy equipment about that's actually attached to your baby.

I don't know about the mobility car & mobility DLA - tricky one really.

mymatemax Tue 03-Jul-07 20:29:38

I wasn't even aware of DLA until ds2 was 3yrs & was told then I could of claimed from 3 months.
I'm not sure i'd of felt justified at 3 months but sadly there are many children who need a high level of nursing & imo should be entitled to dla & blue badge etc from an early age.

sidge Tue 03-Jul-07 21:04:35

DD2 (genetic disorder, prem, brain damage and heart defect) came home from hospital with oxygen, tube fed, apnoea monitor and sats monitor. She was profoundly hypotonic and couldn't move.

We got higher rate DLA from 3 months with no problems, but when I applied for a blue badge as a special case (couldn't get her out of the car with all of her kit without another adult to help me and the doors open wide) we were refused as they stated her condition "wasn't permanent and total"!!!!

OK she only had the oxygen and tubes and monitors for 18 months but that was a very isolating 18 months as we couldn't go anywhere

mummytosteven Tue 03-Jul-07 21:15:00

I agree with mymatemax - surely there are circumstances where it would be appropriate for the DLA, blue badge etc from very young.

2shoes Tue 03-Jul-07 21:51:33

I can only hope the mum or dad joins mn. the reporter looked into it and was told NO.

used2bthin Tue 03-Jul-07 22:12:47

I think DLA goes on the extra care needed so yes for that. We got it from when DD was 3months at highest element. It does seem unfair sometimes though as i've heard of people with DCs same condition as DD who've been turned down. Often they get it when they appeal and get help from drs or the support group but still, seems its partly about the way the form is filled in. For me I am providing a lot of extra care, day and night and am unable to work so would be stuck without it.

used2bthin Tue 03-Jul-07 22:14:05

just want to add i only didnt mention mobility part as i don't know anythig about that part.

hopesmumx Thu 05-Jul-07 16:02:39

i've been into this as my hope is only 2 i emailed loads of retail parks shops supermarkets, basically any thing that had a car park. they all said (apart from tesco) that if there wasn't a wide bay for me in the mother and child spaces i was welcome to use their disabled bays as long as i went instore to the customer services desk so they could either give me a temporary pass to display in my windscreen for that visit or inform security of my registration details so i wouldn't get ticketed. they don't advertise this and i only found out because i was so mad one day and decided to email everyone and his dog.
hope this helps.
anne
x

OrangeMoon Thu 05-Jul-07 23:41:31

2shoes, the mum is part of another special needs forum i use, she has contacted her local MP to see how to go about getting the legislation changed, don't know how far she has got with it yet though.

MissSpider Fri 06-Jul-07 06:52:00

in a word yes.

CristinaTheAstonishing Fri 06-Jul-07 07:39:15

Yes, I think the parents of a child under 2 should be able to get DLA & everything else they need to make life a little easier.

kreamkrackers Fri 06-Jul-07 09:01:27

YES! we got DLA from when dd1 was 12 weeks old and her blue badge from just before she turned 3. i think if you need the help you should get it and it should be made a lot easier to get. i can't work as i'm a full time carer for dd1 and i'm not getting any other help with her although we've been promised help but it just doesn't happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now