PDA in preschoolers?

(8 Posts)
cocoajumbo Sun 20-Jan-19 17:04:51

Ds3 has a recent diagnosis of moderate to severe autism. However I am also beginning to suspect PDA. His reactions when he is asked to do even the most (to me) insignificant tasks are spectacular. Along with all of his other challenges, I'm pretty much on my knees at the moment. Any advice / experiences gratefully received.

OP’s posts: |
livpotter Sun 20-Jan-19 18:07:24

Do you think it's being asked to do things or the fact that he has to transition from one thing to the next?

My ds really did and still does struggle with transitions unless the next thing is very rewarding for him.

Do you use visuals? Can he communicate what the problem is? Do you give him choice or just ask him to do something?

grasspigeons Sun 20-Jan-19 18:45:24

I'd probably try and rule out sensory issues and transitions as being the problem first.

Things that can be useful are visuals as per pp, setting timers, breaking down instructions and so on.

If you suspect PDA the pda society website has some ideas to try. but choice seems to be the first tactic there.

What sort of things are you asking?

cocoajumbo Sun 20-Jan-19 21:07:44

I think it's both; being asked to do things and transitioning. Preschool use visuals and I'm going to ask for copies or apexes so I can start using them at home too.

cocoajumbo Sun 20-Jan-19 21:09:31

Sorry meant to add that his speech is very delayed and he has little to no understanding, which makes things even more challenging.

Examples of things that can 'set him off' include anything from sitting st the table for food, to having a snack, to bath time, to putting his shoes on. It can really be anything.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. thanks

cocoajumbo Sun 20-Jan-19 21:10:48

Post above was meant to say copies or sources...sorry. It's been a long day.

livpotter Sun 20-Jan-19 21:25:52

It's very frustrating for children when they can't communicate very well. Have you tried using ABC charts to see if you can find more of a pattern in his behaviour?

It's good that preschool are using visuals and definitely worth trying to use the same at home for consistency. I did find with my ds that he really didn't respond to 'widjit' style images but photos work really well for him.

Maybe using guided choice would be helpful, you could do that with images if you think he would be able to gesture to the one he wants.

Makaton has also been really helpful for us as well.

It is really hard at that age particularly if children are behind with their communication and understanding thanks

springhappy Sat 26-Jan-19 19:35:27

I think my dd (age 3) also displays signs of pda.
She is being assesed for asd . I also have a ds with asd who was very similar when this age. The difference with dd is her constant rage and temper.
She gets angry at everything and refuses to do most things we ask (even if it's something she'd like). She has recently become more verbal since attending a fantastic nursery, but her behaviour has not improved at home. In fact it's just given us more of an insight into what frustrates her and it's pretty much everything and everyone. I'm hoping that it will lessen as she gets older, at lot did ease with my ds who is now 15 and absolutely lovely. He has many features of pda and over the years we've learn that we need to reason with him and let him make many of his own choices for the sake of everybody's happiness.
I do believe it's mostly caused by anxiety.

Also for the record my husband believes I also for the criteria for PDA, I have my own issues which help me understand the dc winkhope this helps in some way x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in