Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Research shows children disabled by CP are just as happy as other children - thought this made v positive reading

(26 Posts)
Aloha Fri 29-Jun-07 18:34:59

Reported on the BBC website here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6248332.stm

2shoesishappy Fri 29-Jun-07 19:13:21

goody now i know dd is just as happy as other children. not being able to walk. to talk or evn go to the toilet does not make her unhappy. not being able to run around and ever have children doesn't make her unhappy.
makes me wonder what level of cp the children they talked to had.
so now the "oh children with cp are always happy" statemnet has been backed up by the bbc and scope.................great!!!!!!

mymatemax Fri 29-Jun-07 21:45:14

The article does make positive reading, I wonder if they canvassed the parents of the children they would have same opinion?
Our would they just be too knackered battling to make sure their childs needs are met to answer .
Also I think any 8-12 yr old childs world is very small & their own awareness of their life in comparison to their peers is not that great.
I wonder if they asked teenagers/young adults with CP or any disability it would be such positive reading.
I don't mean to be negative, I hope my ds is just as happy as any other child - but I just don't know.

chatee Fri 29-Jun-07 21:58:07

I went to a conference earlier this year where the author(s)of this study were presenting there findings(to date) and as a parent of a child with cp it was very interesting.It is a european study(iirc the largest ever completed by children of this age and their parents)
try googling sparcle for more info

2shoesishappy Fri 29-Jun-07 22:03:09

mymatemax i know what you mean. i am quite sure if they went to dd's school and asked the older pupils the answer would be different. still if those kind of reports make people happy................

mymatemax Fri 29-Jun-07 22:07:05

Thanks chatee, i'd be interested to read more, i'll have a look.

Aloha Fri 29-Jun-07 22:21:57

I'm sorry if I upset anyone.
From the perspective of a parent of a child with a social disability, I would find this comforting. I'm genuinely sorry if you find it annoying.

chatee Fri 29-Jun-07 22:31:28

not me ,aloha...it was really interesting to listen to[at the conference]and i feel more info is needed to help all our children with any s/n but [from my pov] especially cp...

mymatemax Fri 29-Jun-07 22:33:35

No I didn't find it annoying at all, I find it interesting to read the articles & I hope its true.
I just think younger children as long as they have the security of their family around them feel secure & happy, as a child grows the awareness of their difficulties & differences grows & sometimes its difficult for them.
My ds has mild CP & ultimately I don't think it will cause him as much difficulty as his social anxiety/behavioural difficulties.
NT or SN happiness is what all parents want above anything else for their child.

2shoesishappy Fri 29-Jun-07 22:34:05

Aloha i know you didn't mean to upset anyone. I just get annoyed with scope. they more than any other "big" organisation should know that no 2 people with cp are the same. and to me blanket statements like theirs can only do harm.

FioFio Sat 30-Jun-07 20:30:58

Message withdrawn

MABS Sat 30-Jun-07 21:21:38

an interesting read, but all i can say is FFS!!

salsmum Tue 03-Jul-07 17:54:43

MY DAUGHTER HAS C.P. SHE IS 18 YEARS OLD.
I WONDER WHAT THE AGES OF THE 'HAPPY KIDS' WERE?.
MY DAUGHTER WAS ALWAYS A SMILER HAPPY/LAUGHING WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER, NOW SHES 18 I FIND THAT QUITE A FEW THINGS THAT SHE HAS TO DEAL WITH ON AN ALMOST WEEKLY BASIS DO NOT MAKE HER SO HAPPY.
HER WHEELCHAIR IS FALLING TO BITS VERY OFTEN THE REPAIRERES TAKE AGEES TO REPAIR AND THEN COME WITH THE WRONG PART .
SOCIAL SERVICES KEEP CUTTING HER CARERS HOURS . WE HAVE A NEW VAN [RENAULT MASTER] ADAPTED BUT THE O.T. DEPARTMENT SAY THAT THE BUILDERS HAVE 3 MONTHS IN WHICH TO START WORK!SO NEW VAN PARKED ON NARROW ROAD NEAR PUB FOR THE LOCAL BOOZERS TO HAVE A KICK AT! .
THIS HAS ALL HAPPENED IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS....SOOO EVEN THOUGH THE YOUNG DISABLED CHILD CAN BE REALLY HAPPY...THE TEENAGE YOUNG PERSON WITH C.P. IS LEFT SAD, FRUSTRATED AND SOMETIMES FAR FROM HAPPY WITH THE WAYS IN WHICH THEY GET TREATED BY LOCAL AUTHORITY, WHEELCHAIR REPAIRERS/CLINICS O.T.S AND THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO HELP THEM.
DON'T EVEN MENTION THE WORD SCOPE TOO BUSY CONDUCTING SURVEYS ETC TO HELP REAL PEEPS! .

MABS Tue 03-Jul-07 18:49:44

so true Salsmum

lou33 Tue 03-Jul-07 21:04:30

i actually dont see why scope are being slated, i think the spokes person is making a valid point at the end

what i do not like is this bloody stupid connection that kids with sn are somehow happier/ sadder than their nt peers

ffs they are kids and have good and bad days like everyone does

btw i am having lunch with someone from scope on friday, so any questions you want me to ask, feel free to post here!

2shoes Tue 03-Jul-07 21:54:26

I would just like to know what level of cp the children asked had and why didn't they ask teens

salsmum Tue 03-Jul-07 22:29:30

OOH SCOPE...
i would have some questions for them!
1; why do they make the grant forms so difficult for families in genuine hardship?
and then scrutinise what they obviously need for their disabled child?.
2;Why did they sack the disabled staff whilst giving top bosses huge payrise?
3;why did they have such expensive head office in Fitzroy sq london?
4; Why have most people had little or no support from Scope from birth to adulthood for their kids with c.p?.
5; why is the majority of Scopes funding taken up with admin costs?.
6;What support does Scope offer adults/teens with c.p. in the form of councilling/independant living etc...
Hope this questionaire does'nt scare the scope rep that you meet
just don't see the point of scopes existance thats all
maybe other parent/carers will disagree
please do let me know, thanx
xj

lou33 Tue 03-Jul-07 22:32:22

lol hes a date actually but i will grill him about all this dont worry!

i have a few q's of my own to ask as well so i hope he can handle the pressure!

lou33 Tue 03-Jul-07 23:21:58

have just warned him to expect a few difficult questions from me

i think he might cancel now lol

MABS Wed 04-Jul-07 09:22:23

Hey Lou, not sure you should mix business with pleasure hun!! xx

salsmum Wed 04-Jul-07 09:29:27

ooh dear! dont scare him off!
maybe wait till the second date before you question him...unless of course there won't be a 2nd date .
Then feel free to give him the deranged parent/carer face as you reel off all the gripes we have with scope .
good luck
xj

lou33 Wed 04-Jul-07 11:43:40

i dont know him from scope mabs, it's just a coincidence

also i never seem to be enthused enough to make it to a second date, so if he makes it that far he must be fairly nice,

he siad last night that he could have a good old rant about teh mismanagement of scope funds but i might lose the will to live

MABS Wed 04-Jul-07 12:43:13

borin, borin...i won't hold my breath for date 2 Lou.

lou33 Wed 04-Jul-07 13:40:29

lol me either, am beginning to plan my life as a mad old spinster with a hundred cats

MABS Fri 06-Jul-07 09:55:19

let us know how lunch goes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now