Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is it me or is the physio barking to ask me these questions?

(9 Posts)
emkana Tue 26-Jun-07 23:33:53

Ds is now one year old.

The physio came this week to look at him, and was reasonable pleased with his physical development.

Then she asked me some general developmental questions, which left me very much ...

like... does he point at parts of the body yet? Can he distinguish colours? Does he point to things in books?

Now I'm sure there are plenty of one year olds who can do those sorts of things, but I know that my dd's, who don't have SN, couldn't do theses things until, ooooh not sure, 15 to 18 months?

I just think that if I was a first time mum with ds I would find it so depressing and disheartening to have to say no to these questions... and I didn't much enjoy it as it is now either!

Jenkeywoo Tue 26-Jun-07 23:35:43

absolutely barking! what is with these people? 15-18 months as you say.

Aloha Tue 26-Jun-07 23:36:26

Blimey, that would be a lot to ask of a just one year old. My dd is only two and I can't remember if she did any of those things. I would guess no. I would have thought, does he sit up and reach for things, bang toys together, try to pull himself up, smile at you, and make babbling noises or have the odd word were more appropriate questions.

emkana Tue 26-Jun-07 23:39:26

Exactly aloha, and even then I would have to say no to some of those questions.

Aloha Tue 26-Jun-07 23:41:37

So would most people Emkana, I'm sure. My ds didn't move at the age of one! Just sat on his fat bottom gesturing for food!
I think I would have cried if I'd been asked those questions.
How is ds anyway? What's he up to?

emkana Tue 26-Jun-07 23:44:51

He's doing well chest-wise (touch wood) atm.

He's really getting good at sitting now, which I'm very pleased about, and today he made an attempt to bum-shuffle.

He loves to wave at people, which is very sweet.

So all in all doing well, even though it does hurt sometimes when I see the many one year olds I know starting to walk etc... but he'll get there, one day.

How is your ds, any news about school?

Aloha Tue 26-Jun-07 23:48:02

Oh, don't ask! I'm trying to calm down after putting my back in spasm with sheer anxiety and tension. Am counting the days until the holidays. Three weeks to go!

He will get there with the walking. Not walking at just one is really, really normal. I know loads of totally NT/physically 'normal' children who have walked much nearer two than one and you can't even tell now, a year or so later. Bumshufflers often walk later anyway.

gess Wed 27-Jun-07 09:15:54

Probably part of a checklist- but you're right- the 'pointing should be in place' cutoff is by 18 months. None of mine could point at a year.

moondog Wed 27-Jun-07 09:17:56

I dunno.
Maybe they are just general feelers so don't worry too much.
As a salt I will ask lots of questions about mobility.
Helps build up a general picture.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: