Turns out DS can read?!

(3 Posts)
RocknRolla Wed 03-Oct-18 10:38:45

Teach you monster to read worked with my dd. Argos had chad valley books that we bought my dd, they were stories like the 3 little pigs, jack and the beanstalk and stuff like that. On one page they had a paragraph that I read and on the other page one short sentence that that she could read.

SpringerLink Mon 01-Oct-18 22:09:44

Try the app called Reading Eggs. It’s fun and has short segments. You can usually get a 2 week free trial.

seasidewitchtits Mon 01-Oct-18 21:00:49

My four year old DC has ASD, and although he is verbal his speech and communication ability is way behind his peers.

But two nights ago he completely shocked us by recognising, and sounding out, every single letter of the alphabet correctly. We were concerned he might be remembering by rote, rather than matching the symbol to the sound, so we mixed the letters up a bit - and he still got them all right. We have done bits of letter work with him, but this was clearly mostly learned from ABC songs on YouTube(!)

So then we thought we'd try him with a few words: 'Buh-eh-duh. Oh! BED.' Stone the crows - he can read! I'm not suggesting we hand him a copy of War and Peace or anything, but clearly the capacity is there.

So what now? How can we work on this without overloading him and putting him off? Is there anything fun we can do at home in very short bursts with him?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in