Ideas for sensory movement seeking child...

(12 Posts)
Waitingforsleepagain Thu 16-Aug-18 20:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
BaronessBlonde Thu 16-Aug-18 23:03:25

Sounds like he is seeking proprioceptive input ( hanging causes stretch on the proprioceptors).
Try "heavy work" activities...carrying a load, pushing against a wall, using a pilates band to streeettccchhh.
Remember that old toy "Stretch Armstrong"? something like that, if he can use it to fidget with.

BlankTimes Thu 16-Aug-18 23:15:59

Indoor climbing wall? I've seen some in kids' rooms. Have a Google or look on YouTube.

Sounds as though he's sensory seeking, here are two sites which offer a variety of ideas.
inyardproducts.com/blogs/blog/117163141-50-sensory-activities-you-should-include-in-your-child-s-sensory-diet

yourkidstable.com/sensory-strategies-wild-kids/

A Sensory OT can provide a load of advice, some areas don't have them on the NHS so you'd have to check.

5000KallaxHoles Fri 17-Aug-18 10:04:39

I sympathise with you OP... DD2 is the same... my poor poor poor still paying off the bloody finance on it sofa!

We've got a slide that they tend to hang and dangle off in the garden and a trampoline and I will fling her out there and tell her not to come back till she's done X number of bounces if it's getting ridiculous. A big gym ball's worked well as well - just letting her dive over it and generally maul it... seems to be taking weight onto her hands that she particularly craves at the moment (possibly since OT are really working on it) - means you spend half the day dodging flying feet but saves furniture a bit. She also loves wheelbarrow races - just seems to sort out the bits she's craving - least it's working the areas OT wanted working on!

Climbing wall in our house - never gonna happen - the walls crumble if you try to hang a picture from them - let alone a small child!

Waitingforsleepagain Fri 17-Aug-18 10:28:58

livpotter Fri 17-Aug-18 10:34:19

I second wheelbarrow races. My ds also loves holding my hands and walking up me until he's upside down, then flipping over. Works quite well instead of climbing when out.

We also have one of those giant circular bucket things that he loves spinning in. Although he can get overstimulated if he uses it too much.

I just read somewhere (maybe on here!) that having a pull up bar to hang off can be quite good. Or if you don't have space the stretchy exercise bands. Basically I've found anything I would use for yoga is pretty good for my ds.

Ooh also rolling him up in a blanket or yoga mat then pulling on the end to unroll him.

Polter Fri 17-Aug-18 10:45:05

Put a well fitted rucksack on him when you're out and get him to carry water bottles or something else a bit heavy, gives lots of proprioceptive feedback. Build in stopping time so he can have bursts of activity.

Waitingforsleepagain Fri 17-Aug-18 11:00:16

5000KallaxHoles Fri 17-Aug-18 11:11:14

We have stretchy exercise bands around the chair legs in this house - gives her something for her legs to push against when sitting to eat and gives us an added few minutes before the incessant squirming means she falls off the bloody chair yet again!

OT's suggested a weighted lap weight to try to help DD2 sit still when required as well (the one she used is actually a shoulder/neck one so it's curved to go round her)... I joked duct tape might work as well - but it did work when they were trying it in therapy this week (the weight not duct tape) so it's on our list to track down when we have the money to do so.

DD2's difficulties are dyspraxia, abysmal core/shoulder/hand strength, low muscle tone and then there's this sensory out-of-kilter dimension to it all as well - she seeks movement, tactile stimulation and chewing/rubbing things against her cheek - OT reckons she's definitely under sensitive to tactile stimulation and things like changes in temperature etc. We're gradually unpicking everything and things going back to babyhood are gradually making more and more sense as we go further down the rabbit hole as time goes on. She's got a lot better dealing with loud noises recently - we used to have massive problems with fucking hand driers in toilets and hoovers and the like.

LightTripper Fri 17-Aug-18 16:15:15

How about one of those doorway gymnastics bars? Some friends of ours had a daughter very keen on gym and they had one high up in a doorway so you could still walk through it!! I guess you need to have the right doorway...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQuihlmlRo

Waitingforsleepagain Fri 17-Aug-18 16:49:58

PureColdWind Fri 17-Aug-18 22:01:01

I've seen this advertised on TV https://gorilla-gym.com/en/ - we don't have one so not sure if its any good. I considered getting one for my son as he is always jumping around and climbing on furniture but we got a trampoline and that helped with his need to move. We also got a mini trampoline for indoor use for rainy days.

My son watches TV standing on one of these balance boards for about 20 minutes too
https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoomBalancee_RehabWobblee_Board_33cm/3183/38993.html

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in