Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Down Syndrome sleepover

(5 Posts)
TabbyTigger Tue 13-Mar-18 10:01:46

My friend’s DD is 9 and has Down Syndrome and I look after her and her brother and sister three evenings a week and about every other Sunday afternoon, but while we’ve had friend’s DS1 and DD2 over before this will be our first time hosting DD1 overnight as well.

Obviously I know how important following her bedtime routine is, and I’m going to let her choose whose room she sleeps in (and givd her the option of a room to herself, though I doubt she’ll take it). But I was just asking for ways from those who know far more than me on how to make the whole sleepover as easy (and fun - she’s very excited!) for her and how to help her in the morning and help her settle if she wakes up in the night?

SleepingStandingUp Tue 13-Mar-18 11:13:20

Honestly? Ask her mom. Like any 9 yo she'll have her own quirks and preferences. does she have medical needs, medicines etc? Favourite toys? Favourite

bigdicnibba Tue 13-Mar-18 15:00:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TabbyTigger Tue 13-Mar-18 15:13:15

I have spoken to her mum (extensively) about her usual preferences, but I’m just (I think understandably) worried about her being uncomfortable/scared (as I am about any child the first time they come to our house). She loves being at our house usually (goes “oh dear. Oh dear.” When she sees her mum coming to collect her grin) so I’m hoping she’ll have a good time.

I am also looking for reassurance really! I feel somewhat more responsible for her because of her extra needs. I’ve had children with ASD, ADHD, cerebral palsy all stay with us before but this is her first time with us and I always feel more nervous the first time if the child’s very little or has a form of SN.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 13-Mar-18 19:37:47

I get that but without knowing how or what developmental delays she has etc its hard to comment. It sounds like she already feels safe there which is the key

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: