Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

High pitched squealing and screaming.

(8 Posts)
Aspieparent Sun 11-Feb-18 18:05:01

Ds is 4 he's currently under assessment for Autism. He's has alot of sensory issues and delay in ever area ranging from 1 to 3 years.
This Last week he has started this really loud high pitch squealing and screaming. The screaming is so high pitched it literally makes you jump.
Anyone one any ideas how I can try help him either tonenit down abit or help him stop.

outputgap Tue 13-Feb-18 08:57:40

Is he doing it for fun? Comfort? Stimulation? Or is it distress?

I guess i would try and find an acceptable substitute if it's the first few - a kazoo, recorder, whistle? Blowing toys even?

Aspieparent Tue 13-Feb-18 11:59:07

He's does it randomly he can be just sat watching t.v. the he starts flapping and squealing. I think it's excitement that he's doing at as it seems to be certain points in certain programs he does it. He will do it while he's playing hide and seek with his brothers or when he's building his towers too.
I have tried giving him whistles and a kazoo he doesn't like the sound. He doesn't like sounds that others do but seems to like his own.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 13-Feb-18 18:41:15

the sounds they make seem to block out the sounds others make. quite odd how your brain works.

outputgap Tue 13-Feb-18 19:05:33

It sounds like a happy thing? I might be tempted to leave it if so, although I appreciate that doesn't help you if you're jumping out of your skin several times a day.

Aspieparent Tue 13-Feb-18 19:08:34

I think it must be a happy thing. He's definately not unhappy when he's doing it. I just need to try get used it so am not jumping out of my skin alot also I must remember to prewarn people. He gave my grandma quite a freight today with it.

Aspieparent Tue 13-Feb-18 19:09:23

Yes I have noticed that too blackeyed

usernameinfinito Sun 18-Feb-18 20:39:17

Wear ear plugs OP, if it is a happy kind of squeal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: