Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any good handwriting interventions for 7 yr old asd?

(9 Posts)
amunt Fri 09-Feb-18 21:06:36

Ds handwriting is readable if just copying a short a sentence. Anything else e.g. creative writing etc.. it's an unreadable mess.

Just wondered if anyone had similar issues, but found a way to improve the skill.

Thanks

Paleblue Sat 10-Feb-18 14:16:02

My ds is encouraged to do his creative writing on an alpha smart or laptop. It is too tiring and difficult for him to write his creative pieces of writing. I was told teaching my ds to type was the best thing I could do for him.

I got him a slanted writing board and he does find it easier to do his written homework on that. He is 9 now and I would say he has improved alot with his writing and his typing this year at school.

amunt Sat 10-Feb-18 21:34:37

Thanks Paleblue. That's encouraging.

Melawati Sun 11-Feb-18 10:35:35

There's a handwriting intervention called 'speed up' which was very helpful for my DD1 with ASD. She was maybe a little bit older than your DS (Y4 I think). Something just seemed to 'click' with the handwriting and the improvement was huge.

Vibe2018 Sun 11-Feb-18 11:16:22

Are the school doing anything to help him? My son's school did things like Handwriting Without Tears and working on my son's gross and fine motor skills. His handwriting is quite good now at age 8.

Paleblue Sun 11-Feb-18 13:59:44

If you think he is struggling to express himself when writing you may want to read about Dysgraphia.

amunt Sun 11-Feb-18 17:36:56

Thanks everyone. I think there are too many skills involved at once for him to be successful at the moment. E.g. the correct letter formation and spacing takes so much focus, so if he has to think about content too then the formation goes out the window.

I've probably just answered my own question: practise the formation without any creativity until not so much effort. I'll check out 'speed up' and 'without tears'.

Violet44 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:24:56

My son (8) has written a lovely poem on iPad today all of his own choosing, he would never have done that if he had to write, typing is way forward and predictive text on iPad makes it easier.

But doing fine motor activities help with finger strength, wind up toys, popping bubble wrap, peeling stickers, squeezing stress balls, threading, craft etc. Have you seen OT? Finding right pencil grip may help.

Paleblue Tue 13-Feb-18 08:28:17

What you have said about there being too many skills is very similar to what the psychologist said to me after he assessed ds. He said that because it takes so much effort for my ds to write his working memory can not retain any other information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now