Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS with ASD has a room FULL of STUFF

(11 Posts)
MoaneyBoney Fri 09-Feb-18 16:40:26

I mean FULL, he loves collecting stuff and displaying stuff and arranging stuff on his floor in a particular way etc. Every few months I have to force a tidy and declutter as it gets unsafe but the problem is he doesn't want to move things from his arrangements and he doesn't want to part with anything. You can move a lego man's hand a quarter of an inch and he'll notice and be upset.

Any tips or solutions anyone?

He only has a small bedroom but last house he had a massive bedroom and still filled every inch!

I just googled those keter outdoor storage cupboards but I know he'd just fill that and then start on his room again! I know it's related to his autism but I want us to find some sort of solution / plan for how to keep it to a safe and agreeable level.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 09-Feb-18 16:50:54

What is the main problem with the collecting, from what you've written it's confined to his own room, which is good.
Having thing arranged his own way is also, in my opinion, fine. It's not hurting anyone.

Every month or so give him a box to put things in "for the charity shop", explain that some of the stuff on the floor is unsafe, and have him help you in a plan to move it.

There's not really much more you can do.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Fri 09-Feb-18 16:52:17

You can also get him a camera so he can take photos of things that are important to him but he also want to send away.

HardAsSnails Fri 09-Feb-18 19:55:19

I would put up lots and lots of shelving for his displays and possibly a 'no displays on floor' rule or an 'only display on rug' rule. Really Useful Boxes stack well and are stable even piled very high and are great for storing assembled Lego!

Ellie56 Sat 10-Feb-18 01:01:32

We have a tall storage unit with different coloured plastic boxes for all the Lego that DS has accumulated over the years.

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-storage-furniture/toy-storage/

Dalg Sat 10-Feb-18 08:26:38

What age is he? I have found my ds will give things to charity now he is older. I have given him a corner of the living room for his power rangers collection. He keeps it in some wooden storage boxes which double as a table when they are pushed together. My ds also always keeps a big pile of soft toys on the sofa. It is great your ds is keeping everything in his room. Hopefully he will outgrow some as the stuff as he gets older.

MoaneyBoney Sat 10-Feb-18 15:14:38

Thanks all.

He's 13. At one point he was really good at clearing out stuff and selling it to fund new stuff but one thing he got rid of he really regretted and since then he's really reluctant to clear stuff away.

He doesn't leave anything downstairs but we have an upstirs family room that looks like his second bedroom and he's starting to do the same in there too.

My only problem per se is that I want me and him to be able to get in and out safely and quickly if we had to. I like the idea of particular clear rules for his displays eg no displays on the floor.

I'm a bit limited on shelving options as we rent so don't want to be drilling into the walls, and there's no more space in his room for more free standing furniture. He has a bed, an 8 box kallax, a book case, about 6 toy boxes (stacked in 2 columns next to his bookcase) and lots of storage space under his bed too. But very little floor space.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Sat 10-Feb-18 15:15:36

Could her debut the thing he regretted selling?

MoaneyBoney Sat 10-Feb-18 15:45:11

Rebuy??

He has rebought some of that particular thing that he regretted parting with. It was a collection relating to a particular movie and some bits we will likely not be able to get hold of again but we have some of the collection.

CaptainKirkssparetupee Sat 10-Feb-18 15:46:35

I o ly say as I've spent my adult hood debuting my childhood toys 🤣

Allthewaves Sun 11-Feb-18 15:05:13

Kallax shelving units are good. We have also resorted big plastic stage box's for particular collections - thy go in the loft and he can rotate them out every 6 months. We catalogue, take photos for album so he knows exactly what's in the loft

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now