Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Are CAMHS useless? Trigger warning: suicide.

(7 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 29-Nov-17 14:29:39

My 14-year-old DS1 was suicidal last year so the GP referred him to CAMHS. He was bounced about for a while because CAMHS said they couldn't treat him because he has ADHD, and his paediatrician said they couldn't treat him because they don't deal with mental health issues. After another letter from his GP then CAMHS reluctantly offered him an appointment. We went for the appointment yesterday and after waiting for a year I had high hopes that he was finally going to get the help that he needs. But instead he has been discharged because he told the psychiatric nurse that he wasn't suicidal any more. I said that the crisis had passed with support but that he still needed help and asked whether he could have counselling. Instead he has been referred on to the CAMHS Youth Advisors but they don't seem to actually offer any counselling services. I feel like he's been fobbed off. Do CAMHS actually provide any useful services for depressed teenagers or is it just a tick-box system that now he's been seen no further action is needed?

Waitingforsleep Wed 29-Nov-17 17:43:19

Sorry not experience in the same issues but yes camhs are useless.
It's well known and it's disgusting

OneInEight Thu 30-Nov-17 12:23:57

Sadly this is our experience too. We have attempted to get help for ds2 twice with depression (also ASC) but been discharged both times because he is too anxious too access the type of help they can offer. It seems to me in our area they either refuse to see you because the issues are not severe enough or discharge you because the issues are too severe for them to be able to help. Agree with above poster it is a disgrace.

StuntNun Thu 30-Nov-17 12:52:16

I just wish I hadn't been pinning my hopes on CAMHS for helping him. I guess I'm just on my own trying to help him. It's really shit as I have had depression myself and found counselling made all the difference for reframing things and getting out of that negative mindset. I think it's something that he would benefit from but I can't afford to pay for him to see someone privately.

reader108 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:12:15

CAMHS are a joke in this area 'your child doesn't meet the criteria' is all most desperate parents get from them. We've been waiting and trying nearly 2 years ds has ASD probably ADHD no one will assess him we can't get help for his anxiety referred us to youth emotional support who were also crap could assess him due to autism and lack of focus!!.
I've been thinking about private finding the money somewhere been back to GP 5 or 6 times been given a family support worker who has very limited knowledge of referral processes or ASD. My head hurts from it all

reader108 Sat 09-Dec-17 20:13:19

Meant to be COULD NOT not could!!!

Waitingforsleep Sat 09-Dec-17 21:13:36

We borrowed the money and are paying it back was the best decision but I'm so angry we have to do this!
If I win the lottery I will pay for you all! Wish I was rich and famous and could help everyone it makes me so cross.
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now