Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia

(6 Posts)
CaptainJack Wed 29-Nov-17 10:18:52

DD (will be 7 in Feb) was recently diagnosed with dyspraxia and mild ADHD (though I am slightly sceptical about the latter diagnosis). She’s almost certainly dyscalculic too although this has not been formally diagnosed.

We don’t seem to have had much advice on how best to help her (if any) so I am trying to do my own research. Ive just been looking at retained reflex therapy as an option. Can anyone recommend a practitioner in the southwest London/Kingston area? Any other suggestions on OT or other things that have helped with dyspraxia from those who have been through this or similar would also be much appreciated.

Thanks.

LongDivision Wed 29-Nov-17 13:07:31

You could have a look at Sensory Smart Child, which isn't too far from you.They work with local schools, and the owner seemed very insightful (to me, at least) about sensory issues. I haven't tried them, though, and suspect they may be expensive/overbooked.

Checklist Wed 29-Nov-17 16:55:49

I found Madeleine Portwood's book to be very informative:

//www.amazon.co.uk/Developmental-Dyspraxia-Identification-Intervention-Professionals/dp/1853465739/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1511974476&sr=1-6&keywords=dyspraxia+books

CaptainJack Wed 29-Nov-17 22:04:05

Thanks LongDivision. I’ll look them up and see what I can find out. We have a multi-agency meeting at school next week with the SENCo and the EP so maybe they’ll have some suggestions.... just want to make sure I go in informed. 😬

CaptainJack Wed 29-Nov-17 22:08:23

Thanks, Checklist. I’ve ordered a copy. More bedtime reading!

LongDivision Thu 30-Nov-17 12:46:38

Also, from what I've been told about dyspraxia, the key to making progress is repetition and consistency, as apparently this builds the neural pathways. So having OT or physio just once a week or month isn't enough - you need to insist that the school will implement daily practice of motor skills. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now