Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Talk to me about school discipline please

(12 Posts)
scrabble1 Sat 25-Nov-17 10:44:14

Things not going well. I have a meeting with senco next week. 3 detentions in 2 weeks. All went well first half term of Y7, then gone downhill. They only have to have 2 behaviour points for a detention. He now has a report card for next week. I feel like he is sinking fast. What could happen to him??

Skatingmama Sun 26-Nov-17 00:11:42

Scrabble I'm so sorry to read this - my dc are very little so I harmless no useful expedience but just wanted to post for solidarity and to give you flowers

Skatingmama Sun 26-Nov-17 00:13:24

Is he tired do you think as itsxgetibg to end of term?

Is there a common issue leading to the detentions and could that flashpoint be dealt with?

scrabble1 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:15:11

Seems to be lunchtimes

Skatingmama Sun 26-Nov-17 21:12:23

I think then strategies for avoiding difficulties then need to be put in place. I am sure you have a plan for the meeting but maybe worth considering:

- root cause of incidents
- debriefing with ds about what he could do differently
- anything that could prevent

scrabble1 Mon 27-Nov-17 08:58:06

I'm so worried what could happen to him

Frusso Mon 27-Nov-17 12:37:16

I would turn it back to the school; what do they think the trigger is, (you think it's lunch but do they?) what support are they going to put in place for unstructured times (lunch time)?

MuseumGardens Mon 27-Nov-17 14:35:07

In dd's school there is a lunchtime group for kids who are struggling a bit. Not just in year 7. Is there anything like that?

Skatingmama Mon 27-Nov-17 22:03:15

Try not to worry op. Their job is to help him. Try to get a handle on

- what exactly happens
- what causes it
- what strategies do they suggest eg quiet room for time out, a card he can show when things are getting too much, a lunchtime nurture group?

Shybutnotretiring Tue 28-Nov-17 10:49:24

I think it's a real shame that there is such focus on punishment rather than reward. My DS, at special school, is highly invested in their reward system. Yes, it's possible to get negative marks which could endanger the term behaviour prize (trip to eg laserquest) but they start off with positive points and there is ample opportunity to win back positive points if any get lost in time to still go on the treat.

scrabble1 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:22:01

it's nerve wracking checking online every day to see if any behaviour points are issued.

Ceto Sat 02-Dec-17 15:25:20

Talk to the SENCo about why this is happening and what support they are putting in place to prevent it. Also discuss with her whether word can be put around amongst teachers that behaviour points and detentions should be the absolute last resort after they they've put in place all the relevant support. You could if appropriate point out that punishing a disabled child for the effects of his disability is unlawful discrimination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now