Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Letter from school re attendance ....

(9 Posts)
Frazzledbutcalm Fri 24-Nov-17 08:07:01

Dd is in year 10. As many of you will know she's always struggled with school. Cutting a long story short, she's not attended for short periods a few times in the past 12 months. Because of this it has now been decided she needs an EHCP!! Finally!! So County have agreed to assess and are in the middle of that now.

Since going back after half term she's been in 1 day, then off for 2 weeks, did a couple of days for only 2 lessons, off again for a couple of days, did a full day, off a couple of days ....

I've now received what I imagine is a standard worded letter saying her attendance is too low, school can't authorise any further time off, they've referred us to the EWO, and if we want more time off for dd she needs medical evidence to prove she can't attend!

I'm pretty outraged. Surely this is disability discrimination? Should I contact the head of school (who the letter is from) to discuss the letter or just ignore it and carry on as we're doing? We're in contact with the Senco team through all of this.

TIA

HardAsSnails Fri 24-Nov-17 10:47:10

It's a standard letter they have to send. It's not discriminatory to send it but how they act following it could be.

Call the EWO yourself and explain EHCP in hand and keep a diary of attendance/non-attendance just in case you later get questioned.

youarenotkiddingme Fri 24-Nov-17 16:57:29

I’d email the HT. Thankyou for your letter confirming dd attendance is too low as her needs aren’t being met. That will be really useful as we go through the EHCP assessment.

Whichever professionals assess will be able to confirm why she’s not attending (anxiety etc)

Ellie56 Sat 25-Nov-17 01:32:04

Submit the letter as evidence that she is not coping at school as her needs are not being met, for the EHCP assessment.

Frazzledbutcalm Sat 25-Nov-17 08:42:10

Thanks everyone! I'll follow all the advice.

I have no idea about the EHCP process .. we've seen an EP so far who was lovely! Very understanding and just 'got it'.

Ceto Sun 26-Nov-17 12:42:56

Can't you get medical evidence? If she can't attend due to something like anxiety your GP should be able to certify it.

Ellie56 Sun 03-Dec-17 16:51:53

I have no idea about the EHCP process .

This tells you everything you need to know.

www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/ehc-needs-assessments

Frazzledbutcalm Tue 05-Dec-17 19:52:39

Well today we had a visit from EWO and a policewoman!

ellie ... thanks for the link .. I've tried to look at it before but I get so overwhelmed just looking at it blush

HardAsSnails Tue 05-Dec-17 21:50:11

Hope it wasn't too awful flowers

I think you do need to be more proactive, have you contacted your local independent supporters (they vary as to how independent they are...)? Or request a call back from IPSEA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now