Frickin stool withholding!

(6 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Fri 17-Nov-17 01:48:38

I’m at my wits end! DS is 3 and recently diagnosed as autistic. Up until about August his nappies has always been pretty loose, not tummy upset loose, just very soft, formless and usually quite vile smelling. Loads of appointments to check for any allergies etc but all pretty inconclusive. He was very regular, once a day, sometimes twice.

Since the summer he’s been stool withholding. It got so bad he had to go through feacal disimpaction using movicol and suppositories. He’s now on a maintenance dose of movicol (4 sachets a day) but he’s still withholding and I don’t know what to do! He doesn’t really poo anymore, just lots of little bits of soiling. I’m going to take him back to the dr to assess medication etc but obviously need to get to the route of the behavioural stuff (I know by this stage he’s probably not doing it consciously).

He’s still in nappies and I’m getting really worried about school next year. The withholding may have started with an attempt to potty train or just before, can’t really remember. I was really really low key about potty training, no pressure etc and he seemed to be getting the idea with weeing But was advised that if he was withholding it was the wrong time to start training. He may also have started withholding because he got really sore from a particularly acidic couple of poos I just ^don’t know.
^
I’m so sorry this is such a huge post I just have no idea where to go from here, keep second guessing myself as to the best course of action, worried about him still being in nappies, worried about how uncomfortable he must be....arrrrgh! Please someone help me work out how to help him and what to do with potty training!

He’s verbal (lots of learnt phrases but speech is getting there) and has understanding of simple concepts. Will listen to stories but I’m not sure how much goes in-animation seems to capture his attention more. Is there a YouTube video out there encouraging kids to poo?!

OP’s posts: |
RunJHC Fri 17-Nov-17 18:43:16

We had this with my DS (now 8, with autism) when he was younger. So deeply annoying isn't it. Eventually we got him into a routine with pooing so he still does one at the same time, every night, about 6.30/7 before bed. It's really something - he produces one at same time every single night! But it stopped him withholding and made it more routine. If for any reason he misses it we're screwed - withholding/ smearing etc! There's also a book about it - something like constipation and withholding. Might be worth a look? Good luck...

LightTripper Fri 17-Nov-17 22:45:16

We had this problem with DD, also 3. I say "had" - she's been good for about a month on a tiny (teaspoon a day) dose of Movicol, but we've been here before and every time we try to go to zero something seems to happen. We've tried being strict and making no fuss at all and everything inbetween. I think what generally works best for us is insisting she sits on the loo regularly but making no reference at all to what happens there except lots of praise and stickers for a poo, or more generally for clean pants. But we literally only mention poo when she's done one. If we talk about it at all it seems to make it all go horribly wrong!

We also had an app called Mr Poo Goes to Pooland which is a local NHS authority app specifically for poo holding! I'm not sure it actually worked at all but DD really enjoyed it so it was fun at least, and has some good sound effects blush

MollyBloomYes Sat 18-Nov-17 01:21:43

Definitely going to check out that app, it sounds hilarious! Will cheer me up even if it doesn’t work!

Glad I’m not the only one but it’s just so worrying. Poo (or lack of it) is taking over my life! I’d heard about sitting at a regular time so I think I’ll start trying that. And back to the GP as well.

Thanks for your replies, hopefully I’ll start getting some results with him soon

OP’s posts: |
LightTripper Sun 19-Nov-17 08:37:33

Here's a link!
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/potty_training/2542606-Poo-Goes-Home-To-Pooland-free-interactive-app

It seems quite common. Was recently in a chat with three Mums and two had this problem (two three year old girls with suspected ASD, one NT 5 year old boy). I really hope we are properly through before 5!!!

LightTripper Sun 19-Nov-17 08:38:40

Sorry, that should be 5 mums and 3 had the problem. Don't know what is going on with my brain (ah yes, sleep deprivation, that'll be it...)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in